• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

apple care or not to apple care...

Reaction score
My complimentary year of apple care is almost up on my macbook. I have had no issues...other then just a few cosmetic thing that I sent it in to fix. How vital do you all think it is for me to buy apple care?

Reaction score
If you're computer savvy and know where to find parts, then I wouldn't get it. Otherwise, it could save you some agony.

Reaction score
I would suggest it. Computers are always computers and anything can go wrong with them at anytime. If you buy if from apple with an education discount, you'll get it for a cheaper price. You just select a school or university. You don't even have to have proof and you'll get Apple Care for $183.00 instead of $249.00 for a MacBook.

Also, I asked this question few weeks back, so check this thread out too:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116725

:)

Tao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook Black 4GB RAM Mid 2008
Buy it, could save you a massive amount in the future and Apple look after the customers in most cases extremely well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
apple care saved me over $6,000 so I will always get it for every machine I ever get, if that tells you anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I am glad this question was posted, as I was just contemplating that myself! I just got a MacBook Pro this past weekend and was wondering if the Apple Care was worth it. Does it matter where you got the computer? I got mine at Best Buy instead of the Apple store because of some offers they were running. From the previous posts, it doesn't sound like it matters. Anyone have any details on that? I suppose I could just go to the Apple website and look too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
no, it does not matter and you have up to a year to purchase it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I would suggest it. Computers are always computers and anything can go wrong with them at anytime. If you buy if from apple with an education discount, you'll get it for a cheaper price. You just select a school or university. You don't even have to have proof and you'll get Apple Care for $183.00 instead of $249.00 for a MacBook.

Also, I asked this question few weeks back, so check this thread out too:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116725

:)

to the OP, Have you had any problems thus far? Knowing my luck I went ahead and got the applecare but I didn't buy it directly from apple.

I got mine from ebay for $150 and it worked like a charm. You may want to look on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz C2D MBP & 16GB White 3G iPhone
I plan on picking up the AppleCare. Perhaps not upfront but I will before the one year is up.

My sister's MacBook gave her some trouble during our flight to New York. While watching a DVD, the screen suddenly froze and after shutting it down, it wouldn't power back up.

Long story short, with her being 6 months out from her free year, it cost her $350 to fix her MB. So yes, I think the extra coverage is worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.