Help with dual displays for mini.

Reaction score
I have a mac mini running os 10.4.11. I bought a splitter that goes from DVI-D to DVI-D and HDMI. I then have my desktop monitor plugged in at the same time as my tv. If I plug one of them in at a time, then they work; however, if I plug in both of them at the same time they don't work.

If I plug in the tv first and then plug in the monitor, they both work. The mini will adjust itself to the tv's settings, and the picture is 'mirrored' on the monitor even though the mini does not realize there are two 'monitors'. The pictures are fine because it is a digital signal. If I plug the monitor in first, however, and then plug in the tv, the tv does not recognize the signal that is sent out for the monitor.

With both of them plugged in, if I tell the computer to detect the displays or restart it, then both of the screens go black.

I am sure there has got to be software or something to trick the mini into thinking that there is only one display; or better yet, software that would recognize both of the displays.

Things to remember before you reply:
Displays, under system preferences, does not recognize both of them at the same time.
Both tv and monitor are compatible with the mini.
Both displays can and have worked together in unison, so it can work.
Resolution is not a problem as long as it can recognize the tv and then let the monitor mirror that image and not the other way around.

Thanks in advance for any input.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
macosxhints.com - One way to 'mirror' DVI displays on a Mac mini

I found this link. I thought that if I did this with the dvi-d, then the computer would only see the hdmi (tv) and not the monitor. It did not make a difference. Everything was the same as it was in the original post.

Help guys!!

You didn't say which model Mac-mini you have. But...unless you have a 2009 Mac-mini...you can only run ONE monitor with older (non-2009) Mac-mini's!!!

No dual display's...no monitor mirroring. That's one of the cost cutting things Apple did with earlier Mac-mini's.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.