Imac G4 RAM

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I recently purchased an 800mgz Imac G4. It came with 512mb of memory. However I notice that 512 isn't really doing the job, so I opened up the bottom of the mac to take a look and noticd that i can only see one RAM slot. Is it hard to get to the other one? Or I would really like to upgrade this RAM. So what is you guys' advice on what I should do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The "factory" slot is pretty hard to get at.

I'd suggest you work with the bottom slot first, and only worry about the other slot if you have to.

OP
M
Reaction score
Okay so if i just use the front slot what are some ways I can make my mac faster? What RAM should i put in?

OP
M
Reaction score
Could I just put a 1 gig RAM Stick in the front slot, or would that not work for the 800mhz. Imac G4? I'm new to macs this is my first one, so help me out guys. What kind of RAM is for this mac anyway. I know it is PC133, but can I just get any PC133 or do I need a particular PC133?

Reaction score
Could I just put a 1 gig RAM Stick in the front slot, or would that not work for the 800mhz. Imac G4? I'm new to macs this is my first one, so help me out guys. What kind of RAM is for this mac anyway. I know it is PC133, but can I just get any PC133 or do I need a particular PC133?

iMac (Flat Panel): Memory Specification

You need to be aware of the info at the above link.

IIRC, it is going to be very hard if at all possible to source a PC133 1GB RAM module for your iMac G4, the 3rd Party vendors just don't sell them. The max they are selling is 512MB. I understand that it's possible that someone else here may prove me wrong but we'll have to see ...

I think there's an onboard 256MB module but to get to that is not for the faint hearted ....

Having said that, your easiest/only option is to put a 512 Mb SODIMM in the user-installable socket and be happy with 768 Mb total.

Otherwise I strongly advise you consider upgrading the machine rather than the RAM.

Go to one of the reputable RAM vendors (NewEgg, Crucial, OWC etc)
and navigate to the Memory section, enter your Macs specs and you will be directed to the RAM you need. I don't think the particular RAM your Mac uses is that expensive ....

#

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.