FireWire connection to migrate data from MacBook Pro to iMac

Reaction score
I purchased an iMAC (OS X 10.6) and I'm trying to transfer data from my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.5) using Migration Assistant. I connected the 2 computers (FireWire 800) and followed the instructions in Migration Assistant. I pressed the T key while rebooting MacBook Pro until I saw the FireWire sign on the display. Unfortunately, I'm stuck; the computer is not continuing the boot.

Please, help. Thanks.

Reaction score
No need! The MacBook Pro is now a firewire harddrive accessible from the iMac. You can just grab what you need from it.
Cambridge Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Target disk mode bypasses the operating system and turns your computer into a dumb hard drive. At that point, all you need to do is connect it to your main computer with a firewire cable, run Migration Assistant and follow the prompts. Once you are finished, eject the drive from your main computer as you would any external hard drive (Command-E, drag to the trash, File->Eject, etc.), disconnect the cable and press the power button on the old computer to power it down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.