Browser lock-up due to flash

Reaction score
I recently installed Snow Leopard and afterwords any browser I try will lock up when I go to any site with large amounts of flash. I have tried Safari,Firefox, and Opera and all react the same when flash is involved. Say I go to ABC's site to watch a show, as soon as I get there the browser will lock up and I get the spinning wheel. Activity monitor will show "not responding" for whichever browser I use and the only way to kill the program is to do a force quit. If I disable flash the site will load just fine (excluding flash content). This happens with ANY site I visit that has flash.

I have search around to see if anyone has had this same issue but none really fit my problem. I have update to the latest version of flash but no help.

MacBook
Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz
4G ram
Snow Leopard

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
?? - Probably try uninstall and reinstall first off and see how that goes.

Flash uninstaller is here.

Make sure every application that can possibly use Flash Player has been quit.

(Frisbee Golf has come a long way since I started playing back in '73-'74.)

OP
J
Reaction score
I had previously tried an uninstall and reinstall but it didn't work...

(Frisbee Golf has come a long way since I started playing back in '73-'74.)

I've only been playing for about 7 years but it's my favorite sport now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Here's a link to Adobe's Flash archive. I personally run v9 on my system as it seems to have less issues with ramping up CPU cycles and causing general mayhem.

Archived Flash Players available for testing purposes

Here's a link to the Adobe uninstaller:

How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control

Here's a link to ClickToFlash, which allows you to disable flash in your browser:

Macsimum News - MacOSG: How to surf faster, keep your laptop running cooler and extend battery life

Yes, I hate Flash as well!
-Dave

OP
J
Reaction score
I found some information on deleting the "com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist" file in preferences and so far it seems to be working... I just hope it keeps working... Thanks for your help!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
fyi: Issues with a single app can often be fixed by deleting it's plist (preference) file(s).

The other thing to try is repair permissions. Have a lot of people saying it does nothing, but I've seen some pretty strange stuff start working again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.