does time machine back up secondary drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
i was wondering if time machine backed up secondary drives. OSX is on C and all the stuff i care about is on D. I just want to be absolutely sure that by default it backs up the D drive as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
You can select the drives you wish to back up in the Time Machine Preferences Pane

OP
safarisurfer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
where would this pane be.i don t think i understand. i opened the time machine preferences and all i get are 2 options - select disk and options. select disk chooses where to back up the time machine and options lists what to exclude.

am i missing something ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Long Linked Version: Apple Discussion

Short Version: The secondary drive needs to be formatted in Mac OS Journaled

Hope this helps :)

OP
safarisurfer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
ok i see now. that guide is for an external drive. mine is an internal partition d drive. the thing they wanted to change in preferences was an exclusion not addition of a drive. since time machine excludes external drives by default.

thanks anyway but im still not sure if it incuded my d drive in time machine. i didnt exclude it or anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok i see now. that guide is for an external drive. mine is an internal partition d drive. the thing they wanted to change in preferences was an exclusion not addition of a drive. since time machine excludes external drives by default.

thanks anyway but im still not sure if it incuded my d drive in time machine. i didnt exclude it or anything.

Then: ?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What's a "d" drive?

On a Mac, I mean ...

I am guessing people are still thinking Windows and DOS. There are no drive letters on Unix systems. Just names.

Just be sure none of the internal drives are Excluded in TIme Machine and all should be backed up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.