Advice for DIY Macbook Pro SSD upgrade

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro 4,1 (Early 2008, 2.5GHz C2D, 4GB). It's quite speedy, but I now have some funds available for an upgrade. Rather than buying a brand new laptop I am looking at buying a 256GB SSD to replace my current 250GB hard drive.

There seems to be quite a large range of prices and I don't know what I should be looking for, so I'd just like some pointers please.

Am I also right in thinking that this will make my laptop super speedy, as fast, if not faster than the new macbook airs?

Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like anything else, your mileage may vary. :) My opinion on SSDs is that they're currently too costly and for the average Mac notebook computer, do not offer that much bang for your buck. (The new MacBook Air uses flash memory modules not a SSD per se.)

However, if you have the money to spend and would like to upgrade to a SSD anyway, probably the best place to buy one would be from the folks at Mac Sales (Other World Computing). Here is the LINK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.