Partition AFTER time machine backups?

Reaction score
I would like to know If I can create a bootable partition for the Lion image on my external hard drive. The thing is that I have already used that external drive to make several time machine backups. My question is, will creating a partition for Lion in the external drive mess up the already backed up time machine backups?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It won't disturb the TM backups provided you don't overwrite them when creating the partition. However, my recommendation is to use a separate USB flash drive or DVD to create a bootable Lion backup. I've made both and they work fine.

OP
C
Reaction score
It won't disturb the TM backups provided you don't overwrite them when creating the partition. However, my recommendation is to use a separate USB flash drive or DVD to create a bootable Lion backup. I've made both and they work fine.

ok, that makes sense. Although I'd rather go and create a partition within the external drive. Its a 500GB drive and I have about 350GB left so creating a 4GB partition shouldn't be a problem. Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's fine, but make your partition slightly larger than 4 GB, say around 5 GB to make sure the installation files fit.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Need to make sure you are resizing the existing partition to create enough room for another partition. Not going to the partition tab in Disk Utility and using the drop down menu and selecting 2 partitions - that will delete your existing partition to create the two new partitions.

While it should work without problem, you just need to be aware, playing with partitions can have disastrous results. Have seen it enough times that I never touch any partition that has data I care about without a backup. Have yet to see (knock on wood) a failed resize using Disk Utility, but it's always better to be prepared than not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.