G-tech G-raid 4 TB Thunderbolt drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
I am considering a G-tech G-raid 4 TB Thunderbolt drive (2 discs in RAID 0), because I am tired of waiting for affordable external multibay Thunderbolt enclosures.

I currently have a 2 TB G-drive (single-disc) FW800 drive for all my photography data, basically the internal drive of my iMac is used for applications only. I plan on using the Thunderbolt drive as boot, application and data drive. In RAID 0 this should give a substantial increase in responsiveness of my system.

I like the G-Tech units, built like a tank, and they contain very good quality HDD's.

I searched for info on the internet, found some positive reviews, but I am not fully convinced yet. And, theory and reality may not agree with each other. So I wonder if anyone here already uses a G-Raid Thunderbolt drive, and if so, what is your opinion?

Regards,

Thymen

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
Have you looked at the OWC SSD PCIe card/Thunderbolt enclosure? SSD running at faster bus speeds than SATA3. Your machine would scream. 240GB running at ridiculous speeds for $800.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Have you looked at the OWC SSD PCIe card/Thunderbolt enclosure? SSD running at faster bus speeds than SATA3. Your machine would scream. 240GB running at ridiculous speeds for $800.

800$ for only 240GB of Space? With that amount of money you can get two or three 4TB drives.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
I am not looking for top performance, as with a RAID 0 SSD setup. The available size of the disks is too small, and also it is way too expensive. Fast, yes... but screaming fast start-up of an application, followed by slow datafile read/write is not what I desire.

At the moment my entire application/data size is about 1.2 TB, not counting the work-related data that is on a NAS. 2 TB or more in SSD? No way...

My most favourite setup would be an external, 4-bay enclosure with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0, with four 2 TB disks in RAID 10. That is the best of both worlds. Discs at about €100 each (WD RED), and an enclosure such as the Mercury Elite at €280 would mean an investment of €680 for 4 TB of fast, reliable, platform-independent storage. An investment I can justify and feel comfortable with in making. If only those darned Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 enclosures would surface...

Alternative is the 2 x 2 TB G-Raid drive in RAID 0, currently at €550, and my FW800 drive for Time Machine. And that is what I hope some of you have experience with. Because on paper it looks good, but I prefer hands-on, real-life experience.

Thymen

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I am not looking for top performance, as with a RAID 0 SSD setup. The available size of the disks is too small, and also it is way too expensive. Fast, yes... but screaming fast start-up of an application, followed by slow datafile read/write is not what I desire.

At the moment my entire application/data size is about 1.2 TB, not counting the work-related data that is on a NAS. 2 TB or more in SSD? No way...

My most favourite setup would be an external, 4-bay enclosure with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0, with four 2 TB disks in RAID 10. That is the best of both worlds. Discs at about €100 each (WD RED), and an enclosure such as the Mercury Elite at €280 would mean an investment of €680 for 4 TB of fast, reliable, platform-independent storage. An investment I can justify and feel comfortable with in making. If only those darned Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 enclosures would surface...

Alternative is the 2 x 2 TB G-Raid drive in RAID 0, currently at €550, and my FW800 drive for Time Machine. And that is what I hope some of you have experience with. Because on paper it looks good, but I prefer hands-on, real-life experience.

Thymen

I have a drobo 5D sitting in my studio. Been so busy I haven't even opened the box yet! Planning on doing a review and setup video. Stay tuned. Probably do it later when I get back from the Windows Store. >_>"""

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I have a drobo 5D sitting in my studio. Been so busy I haven't even opened the box yet! Planning on doing a review and setup video. Stay tuned. Probably do it later when I get back from the Windows Store. >_>"""

Great choice! I just purchased and installed a Drobo Mini this week. I put 4 750GB WD Black 2.5" drives in it, and an mSATA SSD for the hot data cache. Did you get a SSD for your 5D?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.