downgrading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" mid 2011. iPhone 4 & 5. iPad 1. Appletv.
how do i downgrade from ios6 to 5. everything i have found so far will only take me from ios6 beta to 5? Another seemingly unrelated question what is Jailbreaking. At the moment i feel apple have ruined my 3gs

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The 3GS is the oldest iPhone that can run iOS 6, and compared to iPhone 4 or 4S is quite low in the hardware totem pole so it's hard to expect it to work really well..however there are numerous posts about downgrading to iOS 5 on Google..

http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to-downgrade/

Jail breaking is the act of allowing you to install custom applications that Apple didn't approve and make available in the App Store..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How to downgrade from iOS 6 to 5.1.1 YouTube

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I and a few other members here own a 3GS and have IOS6 on it. It works great. What are your issues?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
At the moment i feel apple have ruined my 3gs

I'm not really sure blaming Apple for "ruining your iPhone" is fair. As "Raz0rEdge" mentioned…the iPhone 3gs is older hardware…and just like any older computer…older hardware = less performance.

So whenever you install the newest version of an operating system (iOS 6 in this case)…on older hardware (iPhone 3gs)…there is always the chance that you could have some performance issues.

This is why anyone with older hardware (computers, iPhones, iPods, iPads, etc.)…should really do some research BEFORE upgrading the OS to be sure the new OS will run WELL on older hardware. Just because older hardware meets the minimum system requirements…does not always guarantee acceptable performance (and everyones idea of "acceptable performance" can and will be different).

My 2 cents,;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would love to know what performance issues? It's fine here. As fast as it was with 5.1.1 and I seem to be getting more battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch, Mid 2009, 2.26 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2, 640 GB HDD
I and a few other members here own a 3GS and have IOS6 on it. It works great. What are your issues?

I have found that iOS 6 runs GREAT on the 3GS, and as a matter of fact, it has convinced me to make the upgrade to the iPhone 5 (in December) but also switching to Verizon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch, Mid 2009, 2.26 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2, 640 GB HDD
I would love to know what performance issues? It's fine here. As fast as it was with 5.1.1 and I seem to be getting more battery life.

Agreed.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" mid 2011. iPhone 4 & 5. iPad 1. Appletv.
the phone works fine, I just really miss the map. It's like going back to an old version of google maps. Where I live is coloured in grey and lacks any definition. Also I used to tap on the pin and get street view but that is also gone.

On the downgrade issue, I tried the fix that the youtube video suggested but it said my phone was not eligible. Whilst looking around it would appear that it was easier to downgrade from a beta version of IOS6 than the proper one unless I had saved a blob?

C

chas_m

the phone works fine, I just really miss the map.

So in fact your initial post was a complete lie.

Here, let me fix this for you:

1. Open a web browser.
2. Type in "maps.google.com"
3. When prompted automatically, save the site as a web app.

Now you not only have Google Maps back, you have a BETTER version with significantly newer features than the iOS app ever had! MAGIC!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.