Another soon-to-be Mac user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 2.8 GHz
Well, after years of using a PC (back to the DOS days) I ordered my first Mac last week -- a refurb 27" iMac i7 2.8 ghz. I have some reservations, but hope after a few weeks or so I will wonder, like many, what took me so long.

The computer is to arrive next week and I wondered if there is anything I should do to get myself up and started. Is it worth the time and hassle of dragging my computers to the Apple store to allow them to transfer my PC data to the new iMac?

Is there any issue with downloading new software and then deleting it if I don't like it/use it like there seems to be with a PC? On the PC little bits of program always seem to remain on the computer and muck things up sometime down the road.

Anyway, thought I would say hello.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have the same exact machine (refurb even) as you and you'll absolutely love it..

You can certainly visit the Apple store for one-on-one sessions if you think there is something you specifically want to learn..but you'll probably figure a lot of things just by playing around..

As far as your current data on the PC goes, first back it up, second transfer it to an external drive..then when the iMac arrives, you can connect the external drive to the iMac and transfer over anything you want..

Installing/uninstalling applications in OS X is significantly easier than Windows and when you uninstall an app (by just dragging it to the trash can), it won't leave random stuff all over the place and you don't have a registry to deal with..

Regards

C

chas_m

In most cases, all that's "left behind" by a program you delete is a tiny and completely inert preferences file, often under 8KB in size. It never "mucks up the computer."

A decade's worth of these don't add up to any substantive space on a hard drive, and really should not be worried about or even thought about. There used to be a third-party tool that could identify old/outdated/orphan prefs and remove them, but I've long since forgotten the name because it is such a trivial matter.

But some neat-freak types will always want to remove ALL traces of an uninstalled program, and for them you have third-party tools like AppCleaner and App Zapper et al. I like and use App Zapper because I love the childish zapping noise it makes (picture Peter Griffin of Family Guy). Ninety percent of the time, just moving the app to the trash and emptying the trash takes care of it.

A few of the more pro-grade apps and the occasional system-altering app (the latter not recommended for obvious reasons) install stuff in other places and really do need a proper uninstaller to remove everything. These apps tend to come with one, however, so again not an issue.

Welcome to Macintosh!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
To clean up apps that you want to uninstall...you would use AppCleaner. It's free, opposed to AppZaper which is not. I like the cool ray gun sound effects though. >_<"

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 2.8 GHz
Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to getting the new machine and delving into the Mac world.

Is one-to-one usually recommended? I purchased it when I ordered the my computer because I figured it couldn't hurt to be able to go to the Apple store and sit down with someone rather than plodding through a book, but from looking at the tutorials and the little bit I played with the iMac in the store, it doesn't seem like it should be too difficult to transition. Also, as I mentioned, I figured it would be easier to let someone else transfer the data from my PC, but that may be more of a pain than it's worth, especially since I have everything backed up on an external drive already. I doubt I could return it (although I haven't activated it yet), but wonder how useful I may find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
These little bits left behind are never a worry for the space they take up. It's just a drop in the ocean. On windows boxes though they can cause some fragmentation issues if left unchecked for a very long time. But on a Macintosh using OS X this is not an issue due to the way it's unix core handles things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
So you're the one who bought that iMac I had my eye on! J/K (actually I had been lusting over that one in the refurb store)
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forums! One to One is good especially if you'll be using Garageband or Final Cut or iMovie/iWeb... apps that may be difficult to just figure out on your own. You can have a person sit down and go over everything with you and show you the ins and outs. :)
Otherwise, you now have this great forum full of knowledgeable people eager to help with any questions you'll have.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 2.8 GHz
Thanks!

Regarding One to One, I actually was told that I could get a refund, so I'm going to consider that option. But you make a good point.

I probably will be using Garageband and iPhoto (at least initially, until I see if if I find any need to upgrade to something else) and I would like to learn a little about iMovie and iWeb so I know how to use them should I want to. Books are great, but it's always nice to have someone to show you the ins and outs rather than plodding through a book. Something to think about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
What I would advise you to do is let them do the data backup, they know more about doing pc to mac, and its just safer that way. also, I would think you could take the external back, i bought an external 2 years ago on black friday and returned it 2 weeks later after I decided that usb was too slow, and it was loud.

For using the mac OS, the best thing to do is just play around with it. go explore what features it comes with, and try to avoid getting into the same process that you had on your old pc.

Reaction score
I have read lots of Pro's and Con's to the One on One training. I bought it and have been more than happy with it and will renew it for another year when this one is done.

To make the most out of your training have some specific goals of what you want to accomplish in each one. The One on One website that you will have access to will help you plan out and have questions ready before you go.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 2.8 GHz
Computer safety at Apple store

I know this will sound a little paranoid, but I need to ask. I am seriously considering bringing my computer over to the Apple store to let them do the data transfer, if only to save me all of the time. My biggest concern is that the iMac got here safely and I feel like perhaps I am tempting the fates by handing it off to the folks at the store -- the place is a zoo and although I am sure they don't want people complaining, I just wonder if they are going to be as careful as I would be. I don't want the computer coming back with scratches on the stand, etc.

It is pretty typical around here (at least in my house) that when someone comes to fix one thing something else will get damaged in the process!

Is my concern a realistic one or should I just take the iMac over there and not worry about it? And yes, I know that if they damage something they will need to replace it -- I just don't want the hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm the same about when I take my Macbook Pro in, as it is in pristine condition.
When I take it there, a make them inspect the machine thoroughly, and make supernotes on the paperwork and service screen "DO NOT SCRATCH OR MARK!!!"
So far other than their fingerprints, they have taken care of it.
If they were to even give it the most minor of scratches, I would have no hesitation in having them keep the machine until the replacement part came in, or a replacement machine.
They do take the care to ensure that they don't do any damage whatsoever, as it is their responsibility while in their possession.
Don't stress about it, just be as diligent in stressing how you want it back in the condition that it is in, while being polite of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.