saving a resized window??

Reaction score
How do you save a window view that has been resized??

ie: when you click on the hard drive you have like 5 or so icons, No problems there everthing fits fine in the view, but when you click on apps there like 25 or 30 program icon or folders, i drag the window for a bigger view, how do i save that view, so evertime i clik on apps the window will remain the same size.

thanks for all the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Finder should remember the size of the last window closed. If you set your window size how you like it, then close it, it should recognize that setting and open in that size the next time you launch a Finder window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
It won't remember the settings of a window you open from another window, however.

Say you open your "HD" folder, then move to your Apps folder and resize it how you like. It won't open like that if you go straight to your apps.

You'll have to open your apps folder (Command+Shift+A) and set the bounds of the window from there.

Reaction score
260980238_3efe90fcc5.jpg

I leave the above option unchecked which means that Finder always remembers my preferred window size.

OP
C
Reaction score
surfwax95 said:
It won't remember the settings of a window you open from another window, however.

Say you open your "HD" folder, then move to your Apps folder and resize it how you like. It won't open like that if you go straight to your apps.

You'll have to open your apps folder (Command+Shift+A) and set the bounds of the window from there.

That seems to be the best way, Thanks

Reaction score
Copper Top said:
How do you save a window view that has been resized??
surfwax95 said:
It will with a folder action attached to it. I've used folder actions since OS 9, and some common OS 9 and OS X folders on my dual-boot machine have both systems' folder actions attached.

I have the OS X Applications folder open in List view on the left side of the screen so I can easily drag new apps from disk images into it, and otherwise fiddle with it. If you attach a folder action to the Applications folder — or any other — the folder will always open the next time the way you set it up and where you want it, no matter where you move it, change its size or change it's view after it's open.

For an overview, type folder actions in the Finder's Help search, and click on Running an automation when a folder is changed.

This is the folder action attached to my Applications folder:

on opening folder this_folder
tell application "Finder"
select Finder window 1
set current view of Finder window 1 to list view
set toolbar visible of Finder window 1 to false
set bounds of Finder window 1 to {0, 44, 257, 624}
end tell
end opening folder

I've used this as a template, and changed the numbers and view settings and saved it under other names, then attached the new ones to other folders.

They must be saved as scripts, not applications. There are a bunch in the Folder Actions Scripts folder in the drive's Library>Scripts folder>Folder Actions Scripts folder — not the Folder Actions folder.

To turn Folder Actions on, right-click/control-click a folder, and slide down to Configure Folder Actions. Then to choose a folder-action script, right-click/control-click a folder and slide down to Attach Folder Action. You can stack actions on top of one another, and they'll all run every time the folder opens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
For me any window I resize is automatically saved. I guess that's a good thing, although I wonder why that's only happening for me and not anyone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
For me any window I resize is automatically saved. I guess that's a good thing, although I wonder why that's only happening for me and not anyone else.

That's happening for me, too, but why do we have to resize each new folder window we create? I'd like to just set a default window size and leave it at that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
That's happening for me, too, but why do we have to resize each new folder window we create? I'd like to just set a default window size and leave it at that.

I don't know if this is true or not, considering I haven't tried it yet, but there's got to be an option under System Preferences that allows you to set the default size of a window.

Reaction score
How do I resize a window when somehow the window got so long that I can not reach the bottom right hand corner?

It only happens when I open Finder through my hard drive. If I open through any other way, it's fine.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    310.5 KB · Views: 6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.