MBP - No Sound?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
About a six year old (early 2008 model) 15" MacBookPro with only 2GB Ram running OS X, version 10.9.2 with all updates current. Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Never had an issue with sound - and for the life of the computer (I bought it new) I only used the built in speakers. About a week ago suddenly the sound is dead - both through the built in speakers and with headphones in the appropriate port. I think I have checked the VERY obvious things to check: the sound is not muted and the volume is up all the way. No sound for iTunes songs on the computer, any u-tube video has no sound, the "pings" or sounds that confirm an action are gone. I am a tech idiot! Having said that I'll guess the sound card died - however I know so little about all of this I wanted to see if you experts know of something simple to check in an effort to get the sound working again. I know this computer is struggling in processor power & memory to be running OS X - but everything works, just a little slow. I'll be replacing this with a new iMac 21 inch model in a few months so I don't want to spend a lot of money on this well worn machine. Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.