MacBook & Wireless Linksys Router Password Setting

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board and semi new in the mac world I got a little problem though... Okay so i live in an apartment and everyone loves my free WIFI lol now I guess my ? is how can i place a password on my wireless network and prevent others from feeding off of my connection??

Thanks in advance all help is appreciated..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
Welcome to the forum!

What sort of modem/router is it? Usually, in the setup, the same place that you would find details for setting the SSID you will find security settings to 'lock' (secure) the network.

If you let us know what make and model I'm sure we'll be able to help a little more

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
login to your linksys router by typing
192.168.1.1 in your browser URL box.

default user name and passwords are both "admin" all lower case.

when you get into the router, there is an easy setup icon you can select or select the wireless tab, then wireless security settings. That is where you can create/edit your password for the network. Whatever you do, write down the password and verify you input it correctly, just so you dont lock youself out. if you do, there is a small reset button on the back of every router (where the ports are), hold it down for 15seconds and youll be back to default. (SSID linksys, no password/web encryption)

Hope this helps, just PM me if you would like me to walk you through step by step.

-J

OP
B
Reaction score
THANK YOU!!!!!! WOW.... What a difference before i had my network block I was running on 3.0megs now that i finally figured it out with your guys help it's at 10Megs and 3.Megs Upload!

Thanks Again...

Reaction score
finally! a simple answer

many google searches later, finally found this thread, took me 2 minutes to finally secure my network, no more free wifi neighbours!
Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Best protection is WAP2 Personal with a thirteen numeric/alphabetic password. That will kick them off!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.