Sound Prefs Crashing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 500GB OS10.7.2 i5, 4G 32GB iPod Touch
*sigh* Still having issues.

I have a Late 2011 Macbook Pro running 10.7.2. I'm trying to get my computer plugged into the television for use as an extended desktop.

I tried using the Moshi Mini Display to HDMI adapter with an Apple HDMI cord. At first, video was being transmitted to the TV, but sound was not. I checked the connections, they were fine. My television wasn't showing up as a sound output, and later my built in computer speakers stopped appearing totally. Then I unplugged it from my computer, tried to reconnect it, and I saw sparks fly from my Thunderbolt port (as mentioned in an older topic.) My Macbook "shorted out" when this happened, and I had to turn it back on. There were NO liquids in the area. The computer itself appears to be running fine. A restart solved the problem of the audio not playing, so as of now the video and audio is transmitted as it is supposed to. However, there's a new issue. When the adapter is connected, the Sounds section of the system preferences crashes, with the usual "crashed unexpectedly" message, saying that a report will be forwarded to Apple.

When the adapter was not connected, the sounds section behaves normally.

I returned the Moshi adapter to the Apple Store today and got the Kanex Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable with Audio support. Same issue.
Also performed the latest software update and still no dice.

Spent an hour on the phone with an Applecare representative. We went through the P R Command Option startup and Safe mode. We also went into the library and dragged out the Audio plist files to the desktop. Rebooted the computer. None of that worked.

I just want to be able to access my settings while the computer is plugged in, just in case there's an issue... could there be a problem with my Thunderbolt? I'm wondering whether it's worth the Genius bar having a look. It's bugging me that much.

Please help. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just want to be able to access my settings while the computer is plugged in, just in case there's an issue... could there be a problem with my Thunderbolt? I'm wondering whether it's worth the Genius bar having a look. It's bugging me that much.

Definitely. As we discussed previously in your other thread the port was hot and removing that cable was what caused the sparks. Take it on in and let them run a diagnosis for you. Should be less crowded this week with all the Xmas rush over with. Make an appointment anyway before you go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.