• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Black preview window in iMovie 2011

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram
Hey guys.

I've been using iMovie 11 since I got my Mac a few months ago and so far it's been working great - but lately I've been having issues with the preview window showing up blank - video doesn't display in the preview window and audio doesn't come through either (even though the video is "playing").

I've found a workaround but it takes a lot of time - the only fix is for me to alt-click, Optimise Video (Large 960x540). I've only got the 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro so the extra optimisation process takes a long time - and it's also quite a bit of hassle too, since I didn't have to do this before.

This solution also seems to spoil the quality of the video when I encode at a HD resolution (mainly 720p).

I've heard of another fix which I'd rather not go forward with - which is to reinstall the entire Operating System again. I can easily do this, but issues like this are the reason why I made the jump to OS X in the first place so I'm not particularly impressed if this is the case.

Any solutions would be appreciated, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.