Can MacPro1,1 supports up to 8TB external Hard disk?

Reaction score
Does anybody knows if MacPro 1,1 can supports up to 8TB external Hard disk?

If not, then what is the maximum capacity of external hard disk it can support?

Because in our case, only 3+TB is shown in our mac for a 8TB hard disk.

By the way, is partitioning the 8TB hard disk the same method as the usual hard disks? because we were told that partitioning it is very difficult and will take a few days to complete. Is it true?

Thanks in advance!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Assuming you are using HFS+ (Mac OS Extended), then yes, the Mac Pro can support drive sizes well in excess of 8GB.
Mac OS X: Mac OS Extended format (HFS Plus) volume and file limits

I don't know if it is exactly the same... it should be, though partitoning and formatting may be time consuming, I doubt it'd be measured in days. Erasing it would be in days, for sure.

We need to know exactly how the drive is formatted. How is the drive mapping laid out in Disk Utility? Can you post a screen cap?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
QuestionMark said:
Because in our case, only 3+TB is shown in our mac for a 8TB hard disk.

I am a little confused here. My MacPro has 4 internal bays. If put in 2TB drives in each bay I woul have 8TBs. I don't see how, you get from 3+TBs to 8TBs.

As for the maximum amount of external storage, I believe you can connect up to 127 devices on a firewire chain.

I don't know how many on a USB chain.

So like lifeisabeach suggested you should be able to get more than 8TBs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It sounds like the disc is not formated properly.

The OP doesn't state wether this is 1 internal drive, multiple internal drives, 1 external drive, multiple external drives, USB 1, USB 2, USB 3, FW 400, FW 899. eSATA or in any way involves a RAID setup. We need more info.

Partitioning will not be a problem, nor will standard formating for HFS+. Now if you want to do a low level format, or completely erase with multiple low level passes, It would take any where from several days to several weeks depending on what you select. For example I'd guess a single pass Low Level format would take anywhere up to 4+ days, whereas a 32 pass low level format might take up to several months on a drive that size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.