Help...

X

Xx620xX

Should I...

For my first mac, should I get a desktop or a laptop? I'm a causal user ... like to have some heavy items open, ram wise. I'm in need of upgrades for both, so what should my first investment be? As well as what type of the certain hardware (ibook, powerbook, imac, etc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
don't double post its against forum rules..

Reaction score
Is it just me or this an easier decision than it seems...

List of questions to ask yourself:

1. Do you need to travel with your Mac / bring it anywhere besides your desk?

2. ... do we need to continue ...

OP
X

Xx620xX

I want both. I just am wondering which one I should start with. I don't have the money for both right now. I have a PC laptop that is useable, and I have a PC desktop that is useable, neither are that great. So I was just wondering which ones you guys thought. Also, if I go with the laptop which version should I go with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Xx620xX said:
I want both. I just am wondering which one I should start with. I don't have the money for both right now. I have a PC laptop that is useable, and I have a PC desktop that is useable, neither are that great. So I was just wondering which ones you guys thought. Also, if I go with the laptop which version should I go with?
Both the imac and MacBook Pro are great machines, and I think this all boils down to which one impresses you more and falls within your price range. Personally, I found Mac OS X an easier jump when buying a laptop because I didn't have to worry about the "Macs have less games" thing a lot; I never considered laptops as meant for gaming anyway. The abundance of keyboard shortcuts in OS X also makes it a great portable OS (I hate using trackpads generally). At the same time, you'll actually have multiple buttons on your mouse with the imac, and I don't know how much you'd object to a one-button trackpad on your laptop.

OP
X

Xx620xX

Hmm, well **** you, jk. I do appreachate the advice. I was leaning toward the iMac, however, I totally understand your point about the whole MacBook thing ....

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
I have got all the mac laptops and have the desktops I travel a lot for work. I have always felt limited with my laptops but I am currently using my imac g5 and loving it. It is faster no worries about harddrive space and if I need to go anywhere I can use teh laptops. Also screen is awesome and the fact taht it just look slick and is a joy to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.