WIFI Printing HP Officejet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New 13" Macbook Pro 2.5 ghz, 4gb ddr3, 500gb hd | 16gb Nano
Is it possible to stay connected to a cable internet connection and print via wifi without turning off the cable connection in the OS system preferences. I can print to my HP Office jet 7400 when I turn off my network card but when I keep it on and try to print in just stops the print jobs.
I tried looking around on HPs help site and havent found anything on the topic.
I tried manually configuring my Airport Ip sub etc, still no go unless I kill the nic in systemprefs.

Is this even possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
sonnycheeba23 said:
Is it possible to stay connected to a cable internet connection and print via wifi without turning off the cable connection in the OS system preferences. I can print to my HP Office jet 7400 when I turn off my network card but when I keep it on and try to print in just stops the print jobs.
I tried looking around on HPs help site and havent found anything on the topic.
I tried manually configuring my Airport Ip sub etc, still no go unless I kill the nic in systemprefs.

Is this even possible?

You did not give much informaton but it seems to me that you have IP printing set up incorrectly.

I use a D-Link Print Server that has its own IP address on my LAN. Printer works. No problems at all.

From your description it sounds like you have to be directly connected to your printer wirelessly (i.e. directly connected) instead of printing through your router.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New 13" Macbook Pro 2.5 ghz, 4gb ddr3, 500gb hd | 16gb Nano
Yeah, Im directly connecting to my officejet via wifi.

My mac is upstairs and the officejet is downstairs so I just connect to it directly via my aircard and the built in wifi in the HP. I could print to the HP via wifi while still maintaining my "dialup" ISP connection, but now that Im on a cable ISP I have to turn off my cable connection in order to print.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I just have my printer connected to my Airport Extreme base station and can print from it on any computer anywhere in the house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
sonnycheeba23 said:
Yeah, Im directly connecting to my officejet via wifi.

My mac is upstairs and the officejet is downstairs so I just connect to it directly via my aircard and the built in wifi in the HP. I could print to the HP via wifi while still maintaining my "dialup" ISP connection, but now that Im on a cable ISP I have to turn off my cable connection in order to print.

I think this is what you need to do. I'm assuming your printer is a WIFI printer (sounds like it). You need to set up your printer as if it were a computer on your wireless LAN. You WEP settings, etc. need to be the same as your computer. Additionally, you will want to assign your printer a static IP on your LAN. Once that is done, you will want to set up IP printing using the static IP you set up for the printer. Once this is done you should be able to print and remain connected to the internet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.