Macbook & Hi-Fi Seperates Speakers

Reaction score
Hi guys i was hoping to play music through some expensive good quality hi-fi speakers can i do this with the 2.26ghz Macbook?

I dont want to pay out for a hi-fi if i can play music through Itunes so just wondering if theres a way around it

Many thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have an Airport Express unit, you can stream music from your iTunes library or other applications by using "Airfoil". Take a look at this.

Of course this means purchasing an AE if you don't already have one. I'm also assuming you have a good amp or receiver that your speakers are hooked to. Or, a set of wireless speakers.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
I went into my local music store and asked there and the man in the shop said i could buy an amp, link it into the headphone socket and then connect 2 speakers through the amp and apparently that would work. Anyone ever done this?

Reaction score
that would work, i do it with my ipod. but is it good quality? no. its a little fuzzy and sounds muffled. music sounds better through an extra pare of dell speakers from my moms new computer(long story short, vista sucks, crashed computer, best buy replaced it, got to keep keyboard and speakers so she let me have the new pair). anyway, don't waste your money on an amp unless you plan on learning guitar. =)

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
don't waste your money on an amp unless you plan on learning guitar. =)

He doesn't mean a guitar amp. He means a stereo amp.

I have my MBP plugged into my Marantz amp with Bang & Olufsen speakers. It sounds fine, the biggest variable is the quality of the music you are playing.

I read into airtunes but the sound quality is supposed to be pretty bad. Get an amp or a pre-amp.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I went into my local music store and asked there and the man in the shop said i could buy an amp, link it into the headphone socket and then connect 2 speakers through the amp and apparently that would work. Anyone ever done this?

That will work but only if all the equipment is in the same vicinity of your MacBook. (wired) If you can afford to go wireless, that's what I would recommend. Wireless would allow you to stream music to anywhere in your home.

For the amount of money you'll have to spend on a good amp or receiver, you could invest in an AE and something like Airfoil and have greater versatility.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP UNI C2D 2.53 4gb
I dont know if your comp has optical but that's what i use. I have a Mini toslink going from my MBP to my amp, works pretty well

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.