Simple file copy software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
Hi Folks,

I've been running a Windows Server 2003 box for years to back up files from an offsite office. Essential it mirrors the file system from the office. I use a product called Second Copy to look for file changes on the remote site and copy them to the local machine. It's worked fine for years. But the local server I had died recently and I just bought a Mac Mini Server. It's about 1/100th the size, much more powerful, and quiet as a mouse. I can VPN to the remote office and map the drives with no problem, but I need something besides Time Machine to copy changed files. I still want a mirror of the file system so if the server in the remote office dies, I can just bring the Mac Mini down and stick it on the remote office network until I rebuild their local server.

So that's the background. Does anyone know of a decent program for Mac OSX Lion that will copy changed files automatically?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper can do the job. Of the two, I prefer Carbon Copy Cloner which also will copy the recovery partition. CCC has a built in scheduler and is pretty much automatic. I use it all the time. Go to this LINK

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
Thanks. I've been reading about CC. But will it do file copying without stuffing the file into an image? An image of the other server does me no good. I want an exact copy of the file tree. I couldn't determine from the site if it will do that. (Although there is a 30 free trial, so I could find out. I'm just lazy.) :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
CCC does not create an image. You need to test it out for yourself.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got it running now. Seems like it will work fine. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.