USB External over wireless

Reaction score
Have an Intel Mac and a PC, both wired to an AT&T router with wireless capability. Also have a MacBook that I only use remotely, and can connect wirelessly to both desktop machines.

Also have an External Hard Drive that is connected to the desktop Intel Mac via USB. This drive is set to be shared for everyone. If I plug my laptop directly into the router, I can access the External USB fine, but if wireless, I can only see the shared folders on the desktop Mac, and NOT the External drive that DOES show up on the desktop Mac.

I've been all through the file sharing options on the desktop Mac, and all seems fine, but I must be missing something. I can also vnc screen share the desktop mac from my wireless laptop and see the external drive sitting there on the desktop mac's desktop, just as pretty as a picture, but I can't get to it via file sharing for some reason.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.