Copying text from Word to Pages issue

Reaction score
Hi. My first post here; I hope you can help!
I frequently need to copy text from a Word document (incoming from clients) to a new Pages document (in which I prefer to work). In some but not all cases, Pages bombs out. Length of text seems not to be the issue.
However, if I copy to Textedit and then copy from there to Pages, there's never a problem. This has only happened since I bought my new iMac. OS 10.6.6. Same Word (v. 11 from Office 2004) and Pages (v. 2.0) as on my previous Mac.
All this because if I try to set the default program to open a .doc document as Pages, I get an error message saying 'impossible to open using Pages'. This too is something new in my new Mac.
Any ideas? Thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I ran accross this:

"Pages 3.0 released as part of iWork '08. Introduced compatibility with Office Open XML (Microsoft Office 2007) files."

which suggests to me that an upgrade to Pages might fix the problem.

You could also try exporting the document first in Word into RTF format to see if Pages can read it directly.

OP
M
Reaction score
I've just upgraded to Pages 4.0.5 and that's solved all my problems, thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I've just upgraded to Pages 4.0.5 and that's solved all my problems, thanks!

You're welcome. :)

And, welcome to the forums BTW

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.