New MacBook Pro - upgrade to 10.6.7 fails - "volume does not meet..."

Reaction score
I'm trying to apply the 10.6.7 combo upgrade from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7 and get the message in the Destination Select step: "Mac OS X Update Combined can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

My Mac has only 1 disk, and it has over 300 GB free according to the installer. So, I must be missing something pretty elemental. That's likely since I'm just a newbie.

2 reasons I am trying this in the first place...
* To see if updates actually work.
* This update was recommended by tech support to fix a bug that is causing the App Store purchase process to fail to complete a purchase I was trying to make.

Yep - it's brand spank'n new. 13" i5 model from the local Apple store. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't use the combo updater (10.6.7) on your machine because you have the early 2011 MBP. The only disks you can currently use on that machine are the ones that came with it. Also, any updates that are flagged for your machine by Apple. I'm a bit surprised that Apple recommended the combo updater.

Go back to the Apple store or call tech support again and explain what happened.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick answer. I found a different 10.6.7 update that is apparently for the "2011 early update". In case anyone else needs it, here is a link...
Mac OS X v10.6.7 Update for early 2011 MacBook Pro

This answer leads to another question - does "early update" mean that I may have a model with the defective Intel support chip? Here is an article that describes how to check your Mac to see if it has a defective chip, but does anybody know of a way that doesnt require installing Windows?
The MacBook Pro Review (13 & 15-inch): 2011 Brings Sandy Bridge - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Thanks again!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, "early" 2011 is Apple's way to identify when the latest upgrade of the MacBook Pro was released. If Apple upgrades the MBP line again say late this year, the models then would be known as "late" 2011.

Also, the initial Sandy Bridge Intel CPUs that were flawed were never used by Apple. The current line of MBP machines all have the corrected and newer Sandy Bridge.

Let us know how the upgrade goes using the correct download.

OP
W
Reaction score
The "2011 early" update installed successfully. Also much smaller than the other one, so easier to download. The info about what "early" means is much appreciated. I'll worry less about it, but I'll hunt around for a way to get the hardware details on this machine - curious minds want to know ;)

In the description of this update, it is stated that it fixes an App Store problem. However, the App Store doesn't run at all now. Before, it got to the point of almost allowing me to buy something, but now it immediately presents an "App Store quit unexpectedly" error window whenever I try to run it. Tried rebooting too - no change.

Guess I'll take it in to the store tomorrow and see if they can fix it from there. I did send the problem details to Apple. Maybe it'll help them figure out what is wrong before too many other folks try to use this update. Thank you again for your assistance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Make sure you back up any data you have already put on the drive. Their fix in this case may be to reinstall the OS.

OP
W
Reaction score
Trip to the local store worked! Tech put the app store install code onto my computer, installed it as "root" user, and now it runs and actually lets me buy applications. Guess I had better roll back that "update" to 10.6.7 - some bad mojo going on there as additional apps are failing after doing this update.

OP
W
Reaction score
Confirmed - this MBP does have the fixed Intel chip set to support the Sandy Bridge processor. I repeated the test in the link above - using Boot Camp to check the IDE controller's ID string. It does have the new "05" version.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean you didn't believe what we told you? Trust but verify. ;D I would have done the same myself....;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.