ethernet problem

L

lville06

my macbook is not recieving any information from my cable modem. I have hooked up both directly to the modem and to other connections in my house via a linksys router that are known to be working. I literally sat in my brothers room and unplugged the ethernet cable from his powerbook and plugeed into my macbook. On my network status screen, i got no I.P. adress no information showed up, then i put the cable back in my brothers computer and watched as his computer's ip adress showed up. Origianally it appeared like my computer wasnt even recognizing that i had an ethernet port as it remained greyed out in the screen for port connections. I called apple and they basically had me reset all of my ports by both removing the battery and holding power and also removing a folder from my library, but to no avail. What should i do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Try powering down your modem for at least a minute, then powering back on and try again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Alright, if turning off the modem alone does not work...

Turn off modem, turn off router, turn off all your macs.
Turn on router, turn on modem, wait 15 seconds or so, turn on your macs. Try it like that.

If that doesn't work you may have a problem with your ethernet card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.