XP frozen, running on MacBook Pro using VmWare Fusion. Totally confounded, help.

Reaction score
I am (reluctantly) running Windows XP on my MacBook Pro using VmWare Fusion. Somehow, windows has become frozen while shutting down. It does not respond to any input that I have tried. I tried using 'force quit' to shut down the virtual machine to see if XP would restart when I turned it back on, to no avail. Please help, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a backup of your Windows VM? Fusion offers the option of a "Snapshot" backup or if you're using Time Machine you can restore XP to when it was working.

If you have no backups, try to start Windows in Safe Mode. I'm not sure it's even possible to start in Safe Mode but try anyway. Hold down the F8 key when you start Fusion.

If none of the above is of any help, you'll probably have to reinstall XP to a new VM. Be sure to delete the old one first.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I tried F8 upon restarting the VM, nothing.
I have a ton of school work on the XP, so I am trying to avoid reverting to an earlier snapshot. The XP was put on my Mac by my Instructor at school and I'm sure he'd re-install it if I asked him but that would leave me to lose my files, would it not?
Do you know what the equivalent keys are for control-alt-delete?
I have tried several combinations with no success. Also, in the VM fusion menu, there is an option to send control-alt-delete. It does not do anything either. Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Have you tried doing a total cold shutdown. If you have a removable battery, disconnect the power and remove the battery after shutting down. If you don't try force a total shutdown by holding down the power button.

OP
A
Reaction score
The problem does not appear to lie with the Mac, but with the windows program. I did restart both the VM and the Mac itself, there was no change either way.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened, but it works now. I poked, jiggled and held my breath for just long enough and the crazy XP program came back to life after I shut everything down and restarted, again. Yahoo!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Windows Gremlins. :) Glad you're back up again. If you have valuable homework and other school work stored in XP, you might want to think about using Time Machine every day to back up. It's really very easy to restore the entire VM from Time Machine. I don't use the snapshot option as long as I have Time Machine running.

Another thing you can do for safety is store a copy of your data files on the OS X side using the Fusion sharing option. If the VM crashes you still have your data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.