Powerbook G4 - 15" vs 17"

Reaction score
OK, I have an opportunity to purchase either of these (excellent condition) used Powerbooks - what are the pros and cons?

Choice A - Powerbook G4 Aluminum, 15", 1.67 GHZ, 2GB ram, 80 GB Hard Drive,

Choice B - Powerbook G4 Aluminum, 17", 1.67 GHZ, 2GB ram, 100 GB Hard Drive

They are both running Leopard 10.5 and I can purchase either for $350.

I understand (from my daughter) that they are both in excellent physical condition - theyare available to her as an employee of a large company.

I had a 17" Dell Inspiron a couple years ago and although the screen was nice, it was kinda heavy and bulky and also got pretty hot on your lap.

They are $350 each

thx! Steve

Reaction score
I have a G4 17" and I really have enjoyed it. It is of course bigger and heavier but I use it at home primarily. Because of the bigger screen I have not felt the need to purchase a monitor. The only thing is it can't run the latest OS or boot up to run windows which I now need. For $350 I would certainly go for it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OK, I have an opportunity to purchase either of these (excellent condition) used Powerbooks - what are the pros and cons?

These two computers are basically identical (including the price)...except for the display size. So really the only decision is what size screen.

Of course the 17" is bigger & heavier...but also remember the 17" will most likely always be worth more money if you ever wanted to resell it.

You also didn't mention what your daughter will be doing with this computer...whether or not it will be mostly used at home...or be leaving the house daily.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook

It depends on which release they are.
If one was from the last PowerBook models made, and the other is the previous gen, then the 'newer' one would have the edge since it uses DDR2 RAM, Dual Layer superdrive, has a better screen resolution and marginally brighter display.

Since the 17" only has a 100GB drive, it is very likely the older model.
You would have to find out some more details to see which model the 15" was.

Either way, it is a good price for either machine and either one would be fantastic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.