Please help: Can't get Powerbook g3/500 to boot

R

RenaissanceMan

I'm a new member here, so forgive me if this forum does not include Powerbook G3s...

Anyways, I can no longer boot my Powerbook. The machine will turn on, but my screen will remain off, and I will not get the bootup 'chord chime' sound. I can't boot off of a CD, etc. or off another drive...

I have tried pressing the reset button on the back of the machine. No keystrokes like zapping the PRAM, etc will do anything. I have reseated the processor board. I have reseated the keyboard plug. I have removed and reinstalled the hard drive. The power supply and battery are both good.

I'm really getting desperate at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me get up and running again? Thanks in advance-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Welcome to the forums! Yes, you're right to post your message here.

It sounds like you have a pretty serious problem, but to clarify a few things, what exactly do you mean by 'the machine will turn on'? Does the hard drive start spinning?

OP
R

RenaissanceMan

Thank you for your reply.

Yes. I hear the hard drive spin, but I get no chimes, and no display or any other activity that suggests the system is going to boot. Power turns on and I can hear the hard drive, but that's it. :(

Any ideas?

muso said:
Welcome to the forums! Yes, you're right to post your message here.

It sounds like you have a pretty serious problem, but to clarify a few things, what exactly do you mean by 'the machine will turn on'? Does the hard drive start spinning?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Hmm, that's quite a pickle you're in there. You didn't mention you have reseated the memory chips - that's sometimes a cause for problems.

If that doesn't work your motherboard is possibly stuffed. You could take it in to an authorised service provider and get them just to check that for you - if it is then I suggest you look at taking the hard drive out, backing up the data and buying a new/second hand computer. It may well be cheaper than trying to get it fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.