Ext. HDD mount via USB, not FireWire...Why?

Reaction score
I just purchased a 250GB My Book Premium Edition. Its FireWire400 and USB compatible and also compatible with Mac...so it says. Of course I wanted to use Firewire as the connection method due to speed and so on. I have never used FireWire before so thougt this would be a good learning experience...not so much. External drive WILL NOT mount with FireWire connnection. So I tried USB and it mounted right away, so I formatted the ext. drive for mac instead of FAT32 and properly disconnected the USB once I verified that using Super Duper it would work for a backup drive. Plugged in FireWire connection again...NOTHING. This is my second ext. HDD in 3 weeks and I feel as if Im doomed to find something that will work for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dallas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Could be a dead firewire port on the Mac, it is the common denominator...

OP
G
Reaction score
Would this be covered under warranty? I am currently in the process of sending my mac in as we speak for "other" issues, so might aswell hit two birds with one stone if I can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Sure it is, if it has the port it ought to be functional, no?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I suspect the FW port on your MacBook as well. Do you have any other Firewire devices (like a digital camcorder) or perhaps a different cable you can try?

Reaction score
I have the same problem. But my camers works fine through the firewire port. Its just the hard drive. The hard drive used to work through firewire yesterday, but suddenly it stopped and just wants to do USB. Does anybody know what I could do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.