Help - I think my MacBook may have died

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD
Hi ppl, any advise would be awesome.

So. my macbook was running usually slow last night so after waiting quite a while for it to shut some programs down, I restart the computer.

When I returned to the computer there was a folder with a question mark flashing on the screen and I got that feeling I haven't had since my pc days.

So... I restart the computer again this time with the leopard disc in the drive. Go to Disk Utility and try Repair Disk which starts and goes no where for around 25-30mins.

So... again another restart this time I go for a freah leopard install and after verifying my dvd to start the install and after around 5-10mins it tells me its having problem with Volumes/Macintosh HD.

My thoughts are dead hard disk, am I right? And if I am, are there only certain spec drives I can replace it with?

Thanks
Ben

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice, I didn't know about the SMART status, I'll check that when I get home tonight.

If it is indeed kaput can I put any old 2.5" SATA in it or does it need to be a certain brand/RPM/maximum size etc. If it helps I bought the system new about March '07, its a 2Ghz C2D.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes for sure check the SMART and see what that says. Also you might run the Apple Hardware test. You access it on an Intel Mac by booting up with the Leopard DVD in the drive and holding down the D key instead of the C after the Start Up sound. Run the extended test as that will tell you a lot about the drive also.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

I am pretty sure it's the Hard Drive but that test will let you know.

You can use pretty much any 2.5" Laptop SATA drive. I have had great luck so far with the WD Scorpio 2.5" but hear good things of late about the latest Hitachi line of notebook drives.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I ended up repartitioning the hard drive and managed to get leopard installed and restored the time machine backup.

you know its funny...

when i was a windoze user in used to want to get the rope out when i lost the system and all my files(like every 6 month).

with the mac and time machine i'm kinda gutted i now dont have an excuse to upgrade my computer to 320gig lol :Smirk:

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh and as always, thanks for the great advise guys!

Reaction score
im having the same problem. but none of the solutions are working
can anyone tell me whats going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
im having the same problem. but none of the solutions are working
can anyone tell me whats going on?

Sure :)

What exactly is happening? Are you getting the flashing folder and ? icon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook tiger OS X / 1 GB RAM / 120 GB HDD / Core 2 Duo (late 2007 macbook)
i erased my hard drive and now i get that problem. im thinking i need to put the os x cd in and reinstall it? im on late 2007 macbook and i dont have leopard i use tiger. can someone help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.