Help Me Love My New Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" Core I5 320GB
I have just made the switch from PC to Mac with a nice new 15" Macbook pro! I cant help but feel like I am in Brazil speaking Russian. A beautifully crafted (£1500) piece of of kit that after 5 days I am getting no use out of and am still booting my XP laptop daily to function.!

My main obstacles i could do with some help are:

My 3 USB dongles installs but wont run the set up. It works fine on 2 XP laptops so I am sure the hardware is all ok. The fact I cant access the internet etc on the move is a major hindrance.

I also have lots of WMV files that the Mac refuses to open. A friend recommended 'Perian' which I downloaded but no amount of double clicking on the file will install it.

I have also downloaded various pieces of software I used on on PC (in mac format) but again no amounts of double clicking will get them to install.

I have an i-phone that is just brilliant and was hoping my switch to mac would be the same. Can anyone give advice on how to start my love affair with the Mac?

Thanks in advance.

:\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
My 3 USB dongles installs but wont run the set up.
Which dongles are these? Do you mean hubs, or are they specific to run specific software? Could you show us which they are? I've never had an issue with any type of USB hub, self powered or otherwise.

I also have lots of WMV files that the Mac refuses to open. A friend recommended 'Perian' which I downloaded but no amount of double clicking on the file will install it.

Perian is fine, as it should enable you to play most any file via Quicktime. Make sure that you're trying to open the file with QT and not simply Perian. It's only a plugin. However, Most people I know, including myself, use VLC to play their media. It doesn't require Perian, and plays everything you throw at it. I recommend that route.

I have also downloaded various pieces of software I used on on PC (in mac format) but again no amounts of double clicking will get them to install.
Can you please be specific about what software you're trying to run? Thanks.

Doug

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" Core I5 320GB
Thanks Doug!

The USB modem dongle is http://mymobile.three.co.uk:8080/mbb/ZTE/MF112/main.html

it installs the drivers will but will not let me complete set up as it says the device is not connected.

I have downloaded applications like: Perian, Firefox, Utorrent, VLc (since you mentioned it), but once I downloaded none of them install. I double click the file of folder and nothing happens of just a text box opens with nonsense in it.

Is there a special installer you need for Mac?

I have also corrupted the original i-tunes that was installed when I tried to move my library from the PC following a tutorial. I have worked out how to delete that i-tunes and have downloaded i-tunes again. However I have double clicked on this file and this will not install either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Thanks Doug!

The USB modem dongle is http://mymobile.three.co.uk:8080/mbb/ZTE/MF112/main.html

it installs the drivers will but will not let me complete set up as it says the device is not connected.

I have downloaded applications like: Perian, Firefox, Utorrent, VLc (since you mentioned it), but once I downloaded none of them install. I double click the file of folder and nothing happens of just a text box opens with nonsense in it.

Is there a special installer you need for Mac?

I have also corrupted the original i-tunes that was installed when I tried to move my library from the PC following a tutorial. I have worked out how to delete that i-tunes and have downloaded i-tunes again. However I have double clicked on this file and this will not install either.

Sounds like you did something a bit wonky at some point. DMG files (these are basically the equivalent of .exe files) should be installed with OS X's system tool: "Disk Utility", and is usually opened in the background automatically. If this isn't happening, it may be that you accidentally set apps to open with text edit or something similar. I'm guessing that, at this point.

Do me a favor. Could you please post a screenshot of what you see when you double click on an .dmg file ? To capture a screen shot, just do Shift+Command(that's the apple key)+3 I won't assume you have a photo hosting site that you use, so I'll direct you to one that doesn't require you to sign up if you don't want to. (though signing up has its benefits, such as an batch uploader that works great)

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

So save the screenshot to your desktop, then go to imageshack. Click the upload button, make sure to choose "don't resize" since the file size will already be small. you'll then see a few links. Highlight the text in the "direct link" box, then copy it. Then when you post here, click the "insert image" icon and paste the code that you just copied and you should have an image as such:

skidr.jpg

Let me know if you have an issue with any of that.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB, SSD ⁞ iPad ⁞ iPhone4 ⁞ 5th Gen iPod
+1 for VLC player. May not have an attractive layout/skin, but it plays almost anything you throw at it!

Definitely DougB is dead on about what's going on with the OPs issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Another option for playing WMV files
I think that that is the only option for playing WMV files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
+1 for VLC player. May not have an attractive layout/skin, but it plays almost anything you throw at it!

Definitely DougB is dead on about what's going on with the OPs issue.

Thanks but I'm not quite as confident. That's why I'd like to see a screenshot.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that that is the only option for playing WMV files.

¿hu? What is the benefit of flip for mac vs using an media player that tackles every codec under the sun? I have never understood the reasoning for this. Plus, isn't it shareware ?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
VLC, flip4mac and Perian all work for me and most users. My guess is that you are installing these things incorrectly. When you download an application (program) it comes in a .dmg file, which is similar to an .exe file in Windows. It's only a container that you use to install the application, it's not the actual application folder itself.

If you double click on a .dmg file, you should see some kind of directions for installing the application, either with an installer or by dragging the application icon out of the .dmg folder and into your application folder. After that, you eject the .dmg file by dragging it to the trash, which turns into an Eject button.

You do NOT open an application directly from the .dmg file itself and you don NOT keep the .dmg file after you've installed the application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
As for how to start your Mac love affair, the best advice is to unlearn what you've learned, in the words of a certain small, green Jedi Master. OS X is a totally different operating system from Windows, so you have to learn to do things in slightly different ways. So get out of the Windows mindset and open your mind to a new way of doing things.

C

chas_m

¿hu? What is the benefit of flip for mac vs using an media player that tackles every codec under the sun?

1. Installing Flip4Mac Player means that WMV files JUST PLAY. In your browser, on QuickTime, just by double-clicking. They JUST WORK.

Of course one should have VLC or MPlayer or et al as well, but most users just want WMV files to open "in situ" wherever they find them (in Mail, on the web, on their machine). Flip4Mac Player (now more properly known as Windows Media Components for QuickTime) make that happen.

Plus, isn't it shareware ?

2. No it's free. An *encoder* for *making* WMV files (though why in Bob's name anyone would ever want to do that is beyond me) costs money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Sounds like he downloaded the windows versions of this software and not the mac versions

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" Core I5 320GB
Hi all,

Thanks for the help, all problems resolved.

I have downloaded VLC and my Mac Book now plays WMV files.

The 3 USB Modem dongle is not compatible with the new 64bit Macs even after firmware update. It only works with 32bit machines. I have downloaded a good little 3rd party dashboard called net2launch which enables you to use just the modem functionality.

Very embarrassed but I was trying to install applications wrong. I didnt realise you had to drag the application download into the Applications folder to install. I was just double clicking the various files. Duh!

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
@Clacksmac
I'm surprised no-one has pointed you here yet, and I strongly recommend it.

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Under the main video window you will find countless topics well worth going through.
They are set out really well, and have the feel of someone running through lessons with you in a user friendly pace in real time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.