The cords are the weakest link

Reaction score
My electrical cords to my Mac Book Pro, I Phone, and I Pad are all a mess. They need replaced. The adapter cord for my projector is, too. I don't really want to buy new ones from Apple, as I am sure they will be of equally poor quality. Does any company sell cords that will work with the Apple products but will be of higher quality and last longer than a year or two?

James

C

chas_m

So hang on, I'm confused. You say the cords for some of your Apple products are "a mess," (don't know what that means exactly), but also your adapter cord for your projector is too -- but that's Apple's fault?

*confused*

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My electrical cords to my Mac Book Pro, I Phone, and I Pad are all a mess.

Seems to me if you're having issues with all these cords...the "common link" is the user...not bad cords from Apple.

I know that the cords from Apple are not perfect...but they are also not designed to take excessive punishment either. If you are good to your cords...they will be good to you!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm using 10 year old cords.. daily.. without issue. Not quite sure I'd go with quality issue. They are NOT, however, meant to be abused as say.. PDU cabling etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I see no problem with the quality of my MBP power cord. It is thick and well insulated. It seems quite hardy actually. Now this is coming from a new mbp owner (first mac experience). I've had this laptop for about 7 months. The cord looks as good as new. I would definitely say that with my other cords (for every electronic piece of equipment I have owned) some are made better than others. But I've only ever had problems with Dell power cords. Now that Win 8 is the mainstream OS for any PC you will buy, I can safely say that I will push and push for my parents to buy refurbished macbooks over Dell. Mac power cords from all that I've seen are hardy and well made.

If your cords are a "mess" as you say it is probably due to user error. What exactly is wrong with them? Are they falling apart?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Before we all blame the original poster, why don't we all try to gather some more information about what sort of problems he's having and see if we can't help him in some way?

James, can you elaborate on why your power cords are a mess?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Before we all blame the original poster, why don't we all try to gather some more information about what sort of problems he's having and see if we can't help him in some way?

I don't think that there is any confusion. OP already said..."They need replaced." From my point of view...this means that something is wrong with them (broken, frayed, loose, etc.).

The only way we can help the OP with this is to suggest repair procedures...and this really isn't something that most folks do with their power cords/power bricks.

- Nick

C

chas_m

I did not mean to imply that the problem is the users' fault, though that is certainly a possibility. I've seen PLENTY of recent Apple cords with weak "necks" that don't respond well to being bent a lot or stretched a lot. Other cords I have definitely seem to be able to take more of that sort of "abuse."

That said, I avoid the problem on my own stuff so far by ... you guessed it ... not stretching or bending the connector. But I *agree* with Mr. Steed's title that the cords -- on Apple stuff and on some other electronics I have encountered -- seem to be the weakest link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.