All Applications Suddenly Open 10.6.8

Reaction score
I have a white iBook running 10.6.8. While using Safari suddenly every application on the computer will open up. It does not happen all of the time. It also does not happen at specific times. I ran a program called Applejack to clean up random anomalies with permissions and the like but it still is happening.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A white iBook running 10.6.8? I don't think so since Snow Leopard will not install on a PPC. How about telling us which Mac you really have? Also, Safari should have nothing to do with applications starting up. What else is going on in the machine when that happens?

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks "chscag". You are correct. It is a White MacBook. I will give you more specifics on the machine when I get back to work.

This is a students machine. He came to me with applications just opening one after another.

What I do know..
1. It did not occur after coming out of sleep mode.
2. He was working on an online dictionary when it occurred.
3. He has told me that it happens frequently.
4. Does not happen at startup.

I have seen a lot of things, but nothing like this. Any specific information you would like me to obtain?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We need to find out what he means by every application is opening up. Are the applications launching, starting up and opening? I likewise have never heard of that happening.

OP
D
Reaction score
I saw it with my own eyes. All of the applications were launching, and trying to open. Very bizarre. I have watched a student open every Word document he had but this takes the cake. It is not like he selected all the applications and double clicked the list.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. Check his Dock icons to make sure he hasn't selected them to "Open at Login". Right click on each Dock icon and select "Options". See if perhaps he's accidentally (or on purpose) selected that action.

OP
D
Reaction score
Nothing in the Dock is set to open at Login.

Machine is a White MacBook
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Running 10.6.8

In talking with the student...
When this happens...30-40 Finder windows open and all of the applications open.

1. It has occurred when coming out of sleep. (Once)
2. It has occurred when starting the computer and logging in. (Once)
3. This has occurred using the Dictionary application and when he is online.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really have no idea what's causing that. It possibly could be a corrupted account. Here's what I suggest:

Create another account for him on the machine. Give it whatever permissions you normally would assign for a student account. Let him log on to the new account to see if the same thing occurs. If the new account is operating normally, copy his data over to the new account from the old, test it, and if everything is still OK, delete the old account.

Let us know if this works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.