Backup issue

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just registered myself an account on this forum due i have a question which only can be solved by a decent knowledge of Macintosh, and where else to find people who may be able to help me.

Sorry if i have posted this thread on the wrong place, excuse me but i am new here.

guud, to start of with the question(s) i have, i will first sketch the problem

I am using a macbook pro, 250 GB diskspace, i only have 30 GB free space
I want to run Windows on a Bootcamp partition on my disk.
but when i use the bootcamp assistent to make the actual partition of about 10 GB.
i get an error, containing the message that there is no 10 GB free space..
I found out that the files on my disk are fragmentated all over.
I spend some time defragmenting it a serveral times, using iDefrag
but no result, the files get possisioned in blocks together, but i still have no free space to make a new partition.

I wonder...
is it possible to make a total backup of my HDD, including al settings, all given serial keys/licences etc etc etc... using Time mashine
I deffenetly dont want to reinstall every piece of software, or every plugin i use... i want to be sure, that the serial keys/licences are still fixed, and if the time mashine offer a perfect copy of my computer today...

next thing, this may not fix my base problem...
does timemashine place the data back perfectly fitting together as one major block on my HDD, or does this aswell copy the locations of the files on the current disk... if so, the files will be defragmentated as they are today...

i hope i have explained the problem clear enough...
and i hope to recieve an awser on this, so that i hopfully can bootcamp windows and not losing my precious setup...

Thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I can make this simple in a couple of points for you.
Firstly.......... 250 GB diskspace, i only have 30 GB free space is not good!
You really need a larger HD as you are asking for trouble.

Secondly, what you want is CCC Carbon Copy Cloner - Home or SuperDuper SuperDuper! to make a bootable clone of your HD.

Defrag is not going to take care of the issue that you have to any major extent as far as you having toooooooooo much on your HD.

Time machine does place data back perfectly, but you should always have a back up just in case, and in your case, as I said, you need a larger HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you need more detailed a response, please post back, and I or many others here will be more than happy to help.

OP
A
Reaction score
Dude, much appreciation for your help!!!

You say : You really need a larger HD as you are asking for trouble.
why is that, and what trouble can i get?

I can make some more space on my HDD, maybe up to 60 GB
is this enough? and what is the next step...

will idefrag work more efficient?
should i be able to make a partition for bootcamp...?

do u suggest using time mashine or superduer or CCC...
or do i have to use both, to get it booted...
I can make backups on a external HD with enough space...
When i format my disk afterwards, will the backup files be fragmented?
if they are spread out all over again, i wont be able to make a bootcamp partition

I am still not sure if it is safe, and i will not lose data

thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To start off, you shouldn't have anything less than 15% space left on your HD at bare minimum (personally in my "opinion" 30%). and even then, expect "SLOW" :/

The trouble is not only a lagging system, but fragmented filing system to the max for obvious reasons (lack of free space).
*60Gb would be good

In saying that, if you do that, I think that at that point iDefrag wont be necessary.
CCC or SuperDuper... the choice is yours.... both will create bootable exact clones of your system.

Quote:
When i format my disk afterwards, will the backup files be fragmented?

The clone or backup will still be fragmented, but I don't think this is an issue, as much as your space issue is, but... if you feel you want to go that way...
use iDefrag, and clone both versions, before and after!

I hope I have made sense, and covered it all (had a beer or 6 after a hard day), but if not, same goes, post back, and more than happy to fill the blanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You say : You really need a larger HD as you are asking for trouble.
why is that, and what trouble can i get?
I should have added spinning ball of death, crashing apps, freezing... etc

(Those beverages can slow things down at this end) :O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
If you can free up 60 GB, making that 90 GB of free space, that would be fine.

However, for Windows you are going to want to make that partition at least 25 GB and that is only if you plan to use it minimally. Clearly you'll need more space on your Windows partition depending on what you want to do with it.

Regarding your other questions I don't feel I have enough info.

Though if you are asking if all went wrong and you had to reinstall everything, any back up via Time Machine or otherwise will not actually back up your software, just the files. Most software packets come with three or so installs. Though with some as long as you have the Key code you can reinstall it on just that computer as many times as you have to. Hope that helped

Follow up question. Are you backing up your computer to your computers hard drive? That would more than likely be the reason you are low on space. For the most part that would only be done for a user who has real fears/problems deleting files and doesn't need a lot from their HD in the first place. Most choose to back up to a good External HD. Other wise you just have your data in the same place twice over. Sorry if I misunderstood but it sounds like your not.

To repeat 6string, you really need 15-30% unused space period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Though if you are asking if all went wrong and you had to reinstall everything, any back up via Time Machine or otherwise will not actually back up your software, just the files. Most software packets come with three or so installs. Though with some as long as you have the Key code you can reinstall it on just that computer as many times as you have to. .

I have to disagree, drag and drop won't install any apps that require the installer, such as Apple apps or Office if you are just trying to move them from an external to your internal HD manually, however, time machine will restore your system as it was, you won't need to reinstall.

I erase my HD quite often, and restore from my time machine backup without having to reinstall anything or enter any key codes. (I do this anytime I installed something that is acting buggy and I can't pinpoint it).

OP
A
Reaction score
thx for the information...

but i'm still not satisfied..

i have an idea, and i wonder if this might be my solution...
What if i try to make enough space, about 90 GB
and use some kind of software that rearanges all my data on my disk
so that i have 90GB free space at the end of the disk...
I think i need a much more advanced defragmentation algorithm
i used iDefrag, but that does not help me.. i still have a fileblock at the end of the disk

is this in a way possible?
or what do you guys suggest...
i am not thinking of a wipe and backup with timemashine
because the files will be at the same locations as they were..;

great thx again, i do love this forum allready
thanks for your time and patients

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.