recovering files from corrupted ipod

Reaction score
I just recently started using my 40G ipod as a external hard drive in addition for as a music player I was only using it on OS X tiger until I tried to use it on XP. When XP (on virtual/pc 7) crashed I rebutted the computer and itunes is supposed to come up automatically. It didn't so I turn it on and it said "iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this iPod before i can be used with iTunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting the ipod." I'd really prefer not to do that so I downloaded this YamiPod (the OS X version) and it on the little window "YamiPod (iPod not connected)" the ipod also doesn't show up in the finder or on the desktop. I tried disk utility "disk repair" and it siad it was repaired but it still isn't working. Then I tried it on 2 other computer's that didn't work. I'm out of ideas here.

...all I really need to do is recover the data once I do that I can just reinstall every thing. Also the ipod still has music on it and plays it just fine so I know the data's there i just cant get it

any suggestions?

OP
I
Reaction score
I've been working to fix this in my spare time and for those of you who might have the same problem I found out how to do it with "Tech Tool Pro 4."

1. open "Tech Tool Pro 4"
2. go into tools/Data recovery
3. set recovery method to "Recover Files Using Directory Data"
4. check "Scavenge Volumes For Data"
5. Click select Volume
6. find the ipod (my ipod was named something weird like ds10489 or something.
7. just click ok the only bad thing is it takes like 8 hours and I only had 9G's on there
8. when the dam thing FINALY gets done click recover data and tell it where you want to send the data and let it be for another couple of hours then there you go

my ipod probably isn't that corrupted so I don't know how well this would work for every one but it's worth a shot.

OP
I
Reaction score
also one thing I forgot to emphasize this seams to only recover any files you have saved to the ipod like text, save game files or any other type of file. (not the music on the ipod)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.