Charger issue or logic board?

Reaction score
Had my MBP just over a year (out of warrantee on Dec 2) and when plugged in it randomly loses power (light on charger goes out and does not charge) and the computer turns off (when battery is almost full). A couple times the date and time has reset as well when I turn it back on. Took it to the apple store and they ran diagnostics, said everything checked out. The guy said it could be the logic board but everything looked good. He reset the SMC and it didn't do it for 3 days but happened again this morning? Has this happened to anyone else?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm surprised the tech at the Apple store did not recommend changing out the MagSafe Charger unit to see if that would resolve the problem. That is a much less expensive solution than replacing a logic board.

Also... too late for you but buying an expensive MacBook Pro and then not adding Apple care to extend the warranty another two years can be costly in the long run.

OP
M
Reaction score
He said nothing was wrong with the charger; he said the diagnostics showed everything including charger was 100%. And about the warrantee, unfortunately due to some stuff going on I missed getting the applecare and was not in a financial situation to get it when I purchased the computer. I could kick myself for missing it though because I already had the hard drive replaced on this one month after buying it! Guess I'll try a new charger though (reviews all say the chargers are junk and repeatedly fail though). Doesn't happen when its unplugged on battery so it's a possibility. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
The apple chargers are usually not junk. I know the first version (2006) had problems where the shielding would break away and would melt. This issue was fixed in the 2007 version which lasted until mid 2009 I believe. They still did not like the charger so they changed it to the L-shaped adapter which is a much better design. On my MacBook Pro(early 2008 version), I got a 2007 ac adapter and it has worked flawlessly for the 2 years I have owned it.

The reason I have seen adapters fail is because it is the wrong adapter. The computer will try to pull what it needs from the adapter for the 15" and 17" Macbook Pros, you must have a 85W adapter it will burn up the 60W. Even if you have the 13", the 85W will work fine, if not better, it will only be asking the adapter for 60W when the adapter is designed to be able to give 85W which should help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.