Can't Disable Safe-Sleep Image...

Reaction score
Am using 10.4.11 on my 1.67 GHz HD Powerbook and I have had a lot of trouble with the system crashing when awakening from sleep. Do did the research, and did the following lines in Terminal, as instructed to stop this:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

sudo nvram "use-nvramrc?"=false

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

When, I restart and then check the status in Terminal, it confirms the 'hibernatemode 0' status, and the system does sleep and wake just as well as my G3 iBook, BUT, the system is still creating giant sleepimage.dmg file.

Whenever I redelete the sleepimage file, it will always crash (freeze) the next time I try to awaken it, and sure enough, when I restart, and the then sleep the next time, it remakes the file. My understanding is that the sudo nvram "use-nvramrc?"=false line is supposed to prevent it from even making the file, but it is not working on my system, eventhough, the system is not actually using safe-sleep any longer. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Thanks!

:D

P.S. The machine has Applejack installed, and has had the dashboard disabled with defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES to conserve system memory.

Also, while it does have filevault enabled, it is Not set to require a password to wake from sleep or screen saver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.