CPU Upgrade for G4 "Sawtooth"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1.5Ghz, 2GB RAM, DVDRW, 360GB HDD
I recently upgraded my G4 350 to a PowerLogix 1.5Ghz CPU. It made a MASSIVE difference. But I was wondering, with the standard G4 logic board, should I have just gone to a 1ghz or similar? Basically, does the bus speed limit the CPU upgrade? Would it be worth going to a 2ghz or would it not be any faster?

Cheers :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Even with system bus bottleneck a 2GHz processor will be faster than a 1.5GHz processor. However, I don't think it would be worth throwing money at. If you absolutely must have more speed than a 1.5 GHz G4, I'd save my $$ for a G5 or a new intel mac.

Reaction score
that helps me too thanks guys i am new to macs, but i know in the pc world if you dont have the fsb to go with the cpu you are just making a bottleneck mess and you will dissapointed with your machine when it does only an little better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I recently upgraded my G4 350 to a PowerLogix 1.5Ghz CPU. It made a MASSIVE difference. But I was wondering, with the standard G4 logic board, should I have just gone to a 1ghz or similar? Basically, does the bus speed limit the CPU upgrade? Would it be worth going to a 2ghz or would it not be any faster?

Cheers :)

Yes. The bus speed does in fact limit the overall speed of the computer. You can go with a faster CPU but it's just never going to get that much better than you have now. I used to have one of those machines and the bus speed was what made me decide to get a new machine after i went the route you have. Right now your machine is a bout as good as it's ever going to get and you probably would not have seen a large performance gap if you had chosen a 1ghz CPU instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Years ago also had a Gigabit Ethernet upgraded with a Powerlogix CPU upgrade to run leopard. Was okay but very limited. Save your pennies for a Mac Pro/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.