Raid 0 setup on partitioned HD on Mac Pro

Reaction score
I just bought a Mac Pro and plan to set up a 4-disk strip RAID set for performance while making sure that all my data are safe. I have an SSD for system software and five hard drives for data. They are:
- Two Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB
- Two Hitachi Deskstar 1.0 TB (Model HDS721010KLA330)
- One Western Digital 2.0 TB WD20EADS (Caviar Green Power series)
The Seagate and the Hitachi are 7200 rpm. I don't know the rpm of the WD 2 TB drive.

I learned that in a Raid set all disks should be the same size. How about brand name? Do I have to use the same brand disks to do Raid 0? My plan is to partition the disks to get "same size". One of the setup I am thinking about is the following:
- Partition the 2TB Western Digital to 250GB/1750GB. Lets call the partitions R1 (250GB), Data1 (1750GB)
- Partition the two 1.5TB Seagate disks to 250GB/1250GB, call them R2 (250GB), R3 (250GB), Data2 (1250GB) and Data3 (1250GB)
- Partition one of the 1TB Hitachi to 250GB/750GB, call them R4 (250GB), Data4 (750GB)
- Connect the remaining 1TB Hitachi to the extra SATA port on the matherboard of the Mac Pro, call it Data5 (or connected it with an external firewire box)

Then:
- Setup R1, R2, R3, and R4 to a strip RAID of 1TB capacity, call it R, and put my regular working data (mostly video files) on it.
- Backup data on R to Data1 with Time machine (large capacity to store histories)
- Backup data on R to the external Data5 with Carbon Copy Cloner (both disks are 1TB capacity) every night, so I have two backups of my regular working files
- Put my "backyard data" on Data2. I don't work on these data. Whenever I need them, I copy them to disk R (my working disk).
- Backup Data2 to Data3 with the Cloner every time I move data to and/or from R
Well, Data4 is kind of wasted. My current total data is about 1.4TB.

My question:

1) If the Seagate disk (partitioned to R2/Data2) is damaged, meaning that the Raid disk R is damaged, do I still have access to the Time Machine backup on Data1? And the data on Data3, the backup of Data2?
2) How do I understand the performance of such setup? Supposedly the Hitachi is the slowest disk, so my Raid disk R is four times faster than the Hitachi disk? Do I gain better performance if I setup the Raid on the two Seagate disks and the two Hitachi disks?
3) Is Apple's built-in Raid software in the Disk Utilities reliable on this type of setup? Or I should go for a third party software such as SoftRAID? Or I have to go for a hardware RAID card?
4) Is this setup compatible with Boot Camp?

Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.