WEP wireless internet connection problem with Powerbook G4

Reaction score
Help,

I've just inherited a powerbook G4 with OS X operating system. This is my first mac and so far I love it other than I can't hook it up to my wireless network at home. The airport recognizes the network but when I put in the password it says password is incorrect for this network.

I looked at the log and it says airport problem scanning. But it does pick up the network in the menu.

My network is WEP protected so i converted the |ASCII into hex and entered that as well. Didn't work. I also entered the password with letters just as the router was set up with "" and with a $ sign. Both numerically and by letters. I also disabled the WEP through the router and tried that. I have read that you can connect via ethernet and then reserve your address through DHCP. But I'm not sure where in the DLINK menu I can do this. Plus, I am not sure of my mac Address....I mean it gives it to me, but where do I place it in the router section. Any help would be appreciated. And maybe a walkthrough of the steps as I am computer illiterate when it comes to a mac. I have had a pc for 15 years.

My router is DLINK WRB-2310.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
When you input the WEP key, don't select "WEP" in the drop down menu, select the second oPtion (I cant remember exactly what it's called, but it's still WEP).
I used to have this problem and this solved it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why bother using WEP? It's outdated and easily hacked with readily available tools.

If you haven't looked already, make sure you check your router to see if it supports WPA or WPA2 (even better). It's easier to use, more secure and faster overall.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for you help, but I used both suggestions and they failed. Although, I was able to hook up via ethernet, then access my router and reserve a DHCP address, I still can't hook up with wireless.

I tried signing in with 40 hex and 40 ascii which are the options after password, also 120 hex and 120 ascii, when my wep was set up it should have worked with the 40 ascii....it didn't.

I then switched from WEP protection to WPA2 and set up my password with characters and numbers. I still can't sign up, it keeps saying password is incorrect. I also used the $ and ". Still nothing.

I was able to access the airport utility and it was able to recognize the signal...a plus I guess, but I still can't access.....HELP

Shelley

OP
T
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I also have a PC running with XP that connects to the wireless network no problem. This is how I have been able to make all the changes that I need.

Shelley

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What version of Mac OS X is it running? Older versions might not support WPA2. Did you try WPA?

OP
T
Reaction score
I am operating a OS X 10.2.3.

I changed the router settings again to WPA instead of WPA2. But now I think the password has to many characters, as I see in my password that I can only enter either password, 40 hex, 40 ASCII or 128 Hex, 128 ASCII.

I am so confused, but I know I'm almost there!!!!

OP
T
Reaction score
Followup,

I was able to connect via ethernet....never did get it wireless. I downloaded updated version of a web browser...all it had on it was IE and old Netscape. The only one that the operating system would allow was Safari 1.0, not much good as I still can't accept fields and sign into hotmail account. So as far as this computer will go is basic programs, not web surfing. Thanks for your help anyways, but I will wait till I get another mac updated in a few months....hopefully I won't need help connecting that one, but If I do, I will know where to come for help. This website has a wealth of information.

Thanks Shelley

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, 10.2 is quite old now. It's likely that it just doesn't support any other type of encryption.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.