NAS seemed like a good idea....

Reaction score
Splashed out some money on a Lacie ethernet home mini 500GB NAS device and for some reason it only works on my PCs and is not recognized on my imac. I get the message that it is not found on the local network. Is there a setting that I can check? Still it looks nice on the desktop, may convert it to a book-end if no success. Cheers ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Splashed out some money on a Lacie ethernet home mini 500GB NAS device and for some reason it only works on my PCs and is not recognized on my imac. I get the message that it is not found on the local network. Is there a setting that I can check? Still it looks nice on the desktop, may convert it to a book-end if no success. Cheers ;)

So, tell us a little bit about what precludes you from being able to use it on your Mac.

Generally, the procedure to connect to an SMB file server (which a NAS that works with Windows generally qualifies as) is something like this:

* In the Finder, click the 'Go' menu and click 'Connect to Server'
* If the NAS doesn't automagically appear in the Window, type the address of the NAS in this format:

smb://<NAS box name or IP address>

For example, in my case, it looks like this:

smb://dns-323

Where dns-323 is the host name of my NAS box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.