Mountain Lion Failed Install No recovery

Reaction score
I downloaded Mountain Lion but when I come to install I get the message "Install Failed No Recovery" It tells me to go to support for more information, but I don't understand it.
Any help appreciated
Thanks RP

OP
R
Reaction score
Forgot to say I reinstalled Lion after a problem which deleted my Recovery Partition, it hasn't caused me any problems except that I can't use file vault.

Reaction score
As i can see a lot of people especially guest are viewing this topic it seems im not the only one that has this problem.

I can't boot on my Recovery HD which lead me to that it was somehow corrupted. (Test by restart and hold CMD+R)
A lot of googling showed that it wasn't really straight forward but Chris Musing has been so kind to make a script that does the work for me/us.

I had to manually delete the broken Recovery HD via diskutil (read the whole post i'm linking to).
As we speak Chris' tool is downloading the DMG that is used. I will probably be back with a go or no go in the matter of a few hours ;)

For the record i also had the "Recovery is broken something something message" when i tried to install Mountain Lion.

Remember that there is difference if you have a ML recovery, L recovery or Snow Recovery. You have to rebuild the right for your original OSX.

The famous link:
Musings » Restoring a lost Recovery Partition (Volume) in Lion

OP
R
Reaction score
OK, this is where I have got to. First I installed Mountain Lion on a partitioned external drive, so I now have a choice of booting to Lion or Mountain Lion.
I have cloned both Lion & Mountain Lion to another External drive
My intention is to erase the drive on my Mac and copy the mountain Lion Clone to the Mac HD.
I have never done this before, is it feasible and anything I should watch out for.
Mountain Lion seems to be running OK, but it is slow. I am assuming this is because It is running from an external drive.
Any comments on this?
I am new to Mac and am more knowledgable about Windows, so any help or advice will be muc appreciated.
Thanks
RP

Reaction score
I have followed the guide from the previous mentioned link and it looks like it worked. The ML installation didn't abort as before but continued as supposed. I write this from my phone as the installation is not done yet.

Feel free to drop a note if it helped you. In that way this solution ranks higher when others search for it

OP
R
Reaction score
I am running the script now, but I am worried that after I installed Mountain Lion on an external disk will I be able to use the original download to install it on my Mac.

Reaction score
Dont worry. You can install it as many times as you want on up to 5 different computers :)

OP
R
Reaction score
OK it completed but I still can't load Mountain Lion. The failure message says the the Recovery system can't be created..
I am thinking of erasing the Mac Disk and installing it from the external drive.

OP
R
Reaction score
OK, problem solved.
I Partitioned my Mac HD and formatted the new partition then loaded Mountain ion on that partition.
All is running well.
When I am satisfied that the problems are solve I will erase all other copies and reformat my external drives.
Thank you all for your input
RP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I am running the script now, but I am worried that after I installed Mountain Lion on an external disk will I be able to use the original download to install it on my Mac.
OS X licencing is done on the honour system; there's no technical limitation on how many Macs you can use the installer on, they just trust you to not use a single licence on more than one, or family licence on more than five.

Obviously, you should only use it on as many Macs as stipulated in the EULA, the relevant point here is that - as there is no "activation" involved like with Windows - you can safely reinstall as many times as you like :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks Ctrl-Opt-Delete, I understand, I can also say that by erasing my HD and installing ML I got my Recovery Partition Back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Dont worry. You can install it as many times as you want on up to 5 different computers :)

No. That might have been true in the past but not with ML. I read most of the ML EULA (does that make me weird?) and it clearly states that you can install one copy on all of the machines that you personally "have control of" which I think is lawyerese for all that you own.

Personal use only. Business users have several more paragraphs to read.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.