External monitor or MackBook Pro - general advice question

Reaction score
Hi all,

I browsed through the forum and found a lot of threads related to external monitors, etc. Nevertheless, I decided to ask the question... Recently I been thinking about getting an Apple laptop. The point is that had enough MShit systems, constant reinstalling, cleaning registry, software incompatibilities, etc. Think than in March I should be able to spend around 1KŁ on my new laptop. I'm weighting the options between getting a MacBook and MacBook Pro. As I use my laptop mainly for writing, reading, net n music, watching movies the hardware of MB seems to be OK, the minus is that 13" screen is just killing me, I can't imaging myself sitting in front of this 13" all the time. What I'm thinking is that I could get the MacBook and external screen, I seen prices on Apple website and those are quite beyond my reach. Was thinking about getting nice LCD from HP or similar, my question to you? Is it good solution, does it work fine, how about any extra cables n setup? The only point behind my decision to get mac is to save the time which right now I've to devote for normal maintenance, etc. On the other hand I could possible stretch a little my budget n get MackBook Pro, but frankly the only reason behind it will be bigger screen, it seems quite unreasonable to pay much more just for 2", as both hardware configurations seem fine for me. Maybe someone could give me some advice, if the external screen is good and hassle-free solution? Or maybe should I dig deeper in my pocket to get Pro as it is incomparably better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can buy macbook to LCD cables from apple or third parties, so buying a non apple display is most definitely not a problem

do you live anywhere near an apple store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
I have a 19" widescreen display from Acer that I use on my Macbook with DVI connection and it works great. Its not as sharp as the Macbook screen but it is a budget display. I've heard great reviews about the Samsung displays.

Reaction score
use the monitor w/ screen

i would not pay the extra money to get hardware that you dont really need. i use a mac book with a 17 inch screen with the mini dvi to vga adapter and clarity is great no different than using the screen with a desktop

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.