OSX 10.6.3 problem?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just upgraded from 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and am very frustrated as my external hard drive (sumvision) causes the cursor to freeze and warrants a re-start (can only do this by holding down power button).

Sometimes I get a window asking if I want to use this drive as my Time Machine backup (I don't), but more often than not after plugging in the external drive everything freezes.

I hope there's a simple solution for this as there is almost 80gb of files and programs I need to transfer....

Thanks in anticipation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
1st thing to check ..... is your hardware certified to run Snow Leopard ?
If it is , it might help if you run software update and apply the 10.6.5 updates.
Are there any apps. that you start at login and are they Snow Leopard compatible ?

A bit more info on your hardware setup would be nice.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi McBie,

Apparently the drive is formatted to FAT32 (whatever that means!) and "runs all versions of Mac OS"

There are no apps that start at login.

Would reformatting the drive help (and if so, how would I do it) I have access to another mac to download the files to in the meantime...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
FAT32 formatted drives are easily accessable to a variety of OS' including Windows, Mac and Linux..however if you intend to use this external drive ONLY with your Mac, you can reformat it into Mac Journaled Filesystem and see if that makes the drive behave better.

Obviously, it goes without saying that you should backup all of you current data on the external drive to another medium..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
If you connect that disk to the other Mac, does the other Mac freeze as well ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi again,

I've updated to 10.6.5 and the cursor still freezes.

No, the drive works perfectly with 10.4.2 on another mac mini (incidentally the mini I've upgraded to is intel-based).

I do understand that I need to back up the data first, but how do I go about reformatting exactly, as the drive will be used with this mac plus the other mini (power pc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
With the drive connected, go into Disk Utility and if the drive is A-okay, it will appear on the left hand column. Select it, go to Partition and partition the drive even if for only one partition, select GUID from the Options button and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled). Your problem sounds like the PowerPC computer as they use different partitioning systems, GUID compared to Apple Partition Map.

As the PowerPC will not be able to read Snow Leopard, perhaps using it with the Intel machine may well be the go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.