Trouble with Bootcamp performance w/ Windows 7

Reaction score
Hi, I just recently found out to operate bootcamp and installed the premium version of windows 7 64-bit. My mac is a new macbook pro with a 2.66 GHz processor. The reason for utilizing bootcamp on my mac was primarily for gaming. Some titles I was mainly looking forward to playing are Battlefield Bad Company 2, Diablo 3 (if blizzard ever releases the date), etc. It came to my attention that even after popping in the snow leopard disk when I booted up windows to install the drivers even small size games such as counter-strike source are running very sloppily even on low video quality. I went on nvidia's and downloaded the new driver version update for my 9400M and also changed my video settings on my video card to the highest quality settings available on overall quality. As far as the performance after these changes, it only helped a minute bit. I have gone as far as fixing registry key errors to try and boost performance of my games. By the way my disk partition for windows 7 does have enough memory as it has 70gb. If anyone has any idea as to what else I can do to try and improve the quality it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" (mid-09) | Specs:(2.26Ghz CPU,2gb ram, 160gb HD, Nvidia 9400m 256mb DDR3)
Windows 7 is not officially supported by Apple yet for use with bootcamp. Apple is currently working on releasing drivers for windows 7 which should be released shortly. Until then i suggest holding off on the games until the updated drivers are released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Imac, 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3
I was talking to an employee in an apple store the other day and he said the only way to run windows 7 at the moment is to buy some third part software. It was pretty expensive though so I gave it a miss, guess we'll just have to wait for an update!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was talking to an employee in an apple store the other day and he said the only way to run windows 7 at the moment is to buy some third part software. It was pretty expensive though so I gave it a miss, guess we'll just have to wait for an update!

An employee in an Apple store told you that? What kind of employee?

That's pure nonsense. Many of us, myself included, are running Windows 7 on our Intel Mac machines. My MacBook is a 2008 early model and it runs Windows 7 Home Premium very well utilizing the Snow Leopard Boot Camp 3 drivers.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
sigh

If only Apple could get those updates out sooner. Thanks I appreciate the reply.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If only Apple could get those updates out sooner. Thanks I appreciate the reply.

The only reason to install the 64 bit version of Windows 7 to play games is if you have more than 4 GB of system memory that you wish to utilize. Otherwise, you just wasted the extra disk space and time since most games are compiled for 32 bit and aren't going to run any faster in 64 bit.

The 32 bit version of Windows 7 runs very well using the Snow Leopard Boot Camp drivers. It's only the 64 bit version that's not completely supported driver wise.

Until more games and other graphic intensive programs are recompiled for 64 bit, I would stick with 32 bit for now.

Just my opinion.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.