.dsStore? What is it?

W

WhitE_RabbiT

Guys, while playing around on my new PowerBook, i've taken not to the existance of .dsStore files. What are these? What purpose do they serve?

Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Did you see these in terminal?

OP
W

WhitE_RabbiT

no, i mainly noticed them while browsing my mac via smb on my windows pc.
i know their hidden files, but they seem to be in every darn directory. i saw them on my ipod as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeaj ok... They are there for a reason - so just leave them You are running crons or Mac Janitor right? :)

OP
W

WhitE_RabbiT

mac janitor, yes....
but would you mind explaing WHY they're there and what they do. obviously they serve a purpose, but I'm just curious to know more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Almost all of those play a role in the part of Mac OS X that is closed, the Aqua GUI -graphic inerface. This is why they are hidden in the finder. The kernel, Darwin is open source by the way

OP
M

meanopause

sorry to sound way noob, and to derail the topic..

but what is running crons? is it the same as repairing permissions???

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
WhitE_RabbiT said:
Guys, while playing around on my new PowerBook, i've taken not to the existance of .dsStore files. What are these? What purpose do they serve?

Thanks for the info.

Here is my understanding of the .dtstore file. You do see then every where you have been using the Apple graphic interface. That little file (.dtstore) keep track of each window you have opened. The place of the folders, size of the icons and such.

OP
W

WhitE_RabbiT

ya, that is sort of what i began to assume they were for. makes sense. i am finally starting to distinguish between aqua and darwin, and what is running on what. im assuming it is sort of like linux in the sense that x11 runs on an open source linux kernel. darwin is the name of apples kernel, and aqua runs on it, much like you could run x11 on it as well. is this correct? (broadly speaking of course)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe that is true.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
meanopause said:
sorry to sound way noob, and to derail the topic..

but what is running crons? is it the same as repairing permissions???
How do I run crons? I've never understood witesharks way of doing it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.