Our iPhone 4 and the dreaded "NO SIM" saga...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My wife recently started getting the NO SIM error with her iPhone 4 and so far, replacing the SIM twice and resetting the carrier settings hasn't helped. The last ditch fix that I've read of already, and was recommended by the Best Buy rep who had the same issue, is to restore the phone as a new phone.

Here's our problem... she has some data from an app that she must preserve. Losing these logs is not an option, but there is no way to back it up (oh the developer will be getting some feedback on that!). If I restore the iPhone as a new phone, she will lose all data, all files, all apps, correct? Reinstalling the apps is no biggie, but recovering the data is the hangup here.

I have a tentative plan to restore her stuff to her old iPhone 2G (which her mother had until she inheritted the iPhone 3Gs), jailbreak it, pull the data file off, install the app to our iPad and jailbreak that, then pop the data on the iPad (the iPad is synced to my iTunes account, not hers). This is more of a roundabout plan than I care to do, but at the moment seems my best option. Any ideas?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I managed to bust out a better solution. There's an interesting app called "Phone Disk" that lets you browse the contents of your iPhone without jailbreaking it. You are limited to certain directories, mind you, but I was able to grab the data file for her app and copy it to my desktop. I then installed the app on my iPhone, copied that data file into the same location, and BAM! I had her data on my iPhone. Piece of cake! It's free for now... grab it while you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Glad it worked out. That shell game didn't sound very fun to me. I'll keep that app bookmarked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Good info, I forgot all about Phone Disk.
I personally hate it to when any application has a database that you can't be sure that you can get at the data if the application ever stops working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If you restore a phone using a backup, it restores all the data. The only thing not copied back to the new device are passwords.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you restore a phone using a backup, it restores all the data. The only thing not copied back to the new device are passwords.

Yah, but we had to restore it as a "new" phone to get past this "No SIM" problem. The backup had to be disregarded completely, thus the dilemna. Anywho… recovering the data worked out well using Phone Disk. We'll know more by end of the day if the "No SIM" error is resolved.

There is one other app I had that I had forgotten about that can browse iPhone files also without jailbreaking… iPhone Explorer. It's a bit easier to use in some respects.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bah! The message is still plaguing her. Oh well... time to call Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.