SCSI Card

Reaction score
We have purchased a tape backup system which needs connects to our PowerPC G5 via SCSI. Unfortunately, SCSI is a bit on the outdated side of things, but we need it.

Can anyone please recommend a SCSI card for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD

I use a similar adapter (made by Adaptec) on a PC, although mine is USB to SCSI-II adapter, not a Firewire-SCSI adapter. It works well. This might be a way forward.

However, you may need to be a little more detailed in your question. There are more "flavors" of SCSI than hairs on your head it seems. SCSI-II, Ultra SCSI, Ultra Wide SCSI, SCSI 320 ... the list goes on and on. Make sure that you know what type of SCSI your tape units need and then find an adapter that provides it.

By the way, the latest Mac Pros use PCIe 2.0 for their plug in cards, so once you know what sort of SCSI you are looking for, you might wish to look for a PCIe 2.0 adapter that provides that sort of SCSI.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The wiki didn't have the connector I have.

I'm working on pics now.

I also think I mis labeled this thread. I don't have one of the newer Mac Pros, but a Power Mac G5.

I searched a bit more on the PCI slots and found that I have PCI-X slots...3 available.

mac57, this cable was provided from Tandberg (the tape backup manufacturer)
http://service.pcconnection.com/images/inhouse/5288381.jpg

And, I found a bunch of google results...i just can't quite figure out which one I need and which is compatible with Power Macs.
http://www.google.com/products?oe=utf-8&q=pci+x+scsi+card&lnk=qsugt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NateL, the picture is too small to determine the SCSI type from it. Do you have any documentation that would tell you what sort of SCSI you are up against? Alternately, do you have a model number for your tape drive? We could look that up and determine the SCSI type from that.

Finally, there were many iterations of PowerMac G5. Can you tell us what your processor speed and config are (for example, "dual core 2.3 GHz")?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
that looks like Ultra Wide SCSI

but I would contact Tandberg and get them to recommend a card

OP
N
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Tandberg, and he said the cable i have is VHDCI
http://www.lextec.com/images/scsi_vhdci_offset_lg.jpg

One end is a lot wider than the other end. The wider end plugs into the tape backup system, and the smaller end plugs into the SCSI card.

So... at Apple.com,
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB099G/A

This looks like what I need. However, the computer has a PCI-X slot, but that card appears to have an extra groove...should I worry about that?

Also, I'm browsing on Adaptec.com and I'm not sure, do I need a Parallel SCSI or Host Bus Adapter (HBA)?

OP
N
Reaction score
NateL, the picture is too small to determine the SCSI type from it. Do you have any documentation that would tell you what sort of SCSI you are up against? Alternately, do you have a model number for your tape drive? We could look that up and determine the SCSI type from that.
LTO-3HH

The specs say SCSI cable HD68/HD68
Finally, there were many iterations of PowerMac G5. Can you tell us what your processor speed and config are (for example, "dual core 2.3 GHz")?

Model: PowerMac 7,2
CPU Type: PowerPC970
Number of CPU's: 2
CPU Speed: 2ghz
Memory: 7 GB

OS is 10.4

anything other info you may need?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would appear from the above that you have a late model PowerMac G5, dual core 2.0 GHz. This is the same generation as my original PowerMac G5, and from its technical documentation, I see that it uses PCI Express (PCIe) not PCI-X. Hence the card that you are looking at likely will not be compatible with your machine.

I think that you are looking for a PCIe Ultra320 SCSI, from what you say, like this one or this one.

Please don't buy anything without confirming that your machine is PCIe vs. PCI-X, but I think that it is the same generation as my PowerMac G5, so unless you know for sure that it is PCI-X, I think it is PCIe.

PowerMac G5 owners, is there anyone out there with the 2.0 GHz dual core model? Can you comment on whether it is PCI-X or PCIe? It is always possible that Apple put different interfaces into the different models... anything is possible!

OP
N
Reaction score
It would appear from the above that you have a late model PowerMac G5, dual core 2.0 GHz. This is the same generation as my original PowerMac G5, and from its technical documentation, I see that it uses PCI Express (PCIe) not PCI-X. Hence the card that you are looking at likely will not be compatible with your machine.

I think that you are looking for a PCIe Ultra320 SCSI, from what you say, like this one or this one.

Please don't buy anything without confirming that your machine is PCIe vs. PCI-X, but I think that it is the same generation as my PowerMac G5, so unless you know for sure that it is PCI-X, I think it is PCIe.

PowerMac G5 owners, is there anyone out there with the 2.0 GHz dual core model? Can you comment on whether it is PCI-X or PCIe? It is always possible that Apple put different interfaces into the different models... anything is possible!

Here's a shot of the 3 available slots.

IMG_0219.JPG

OP
N
Reaction score
I need to get this SCSI card ordered today...just a bump before I order to confirm that it's PCI-X or PCIe. I've asked on a few other forums and the answer I get is "yeah I think it's PCI-X"...noone is sure.

Reaction score

HI Mac57,
I too am interested in a PCI-E SCSI card to connect a DLT4 tape to my new Mac Pro. I looked at the first of the two cards you recommended - but did not see the MAC OS listed under the supported OS... I am new to Macs so I may be missing something?!
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

HI Mac57,
I too am interested in a PCI-E SCSI card to connect a DLT4 tape to my new Mac Pro. I looked at the first of the two cards you recommended - but did not see the MAC OS listed under the supported OS... I am new to Macs so I may be missing something?!
thanks

I was not recommending those cards - I just looked a few up and posted them as examples. You are right to ensure that the cards are supported under Mac OS X however. If they are not, don't get them. I freely admit that I did not look for OS support when I checked out a few cards. Remember however that Mac OS X may support the cards natively, without need of drivers from the vendor. You may wish to Google around and check this out on any card of interest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.