Dual monitors?

j0n

Reaction score
OK OK OK.

I'm something of a hardware idiot. Not knowing... anything really about any kind of hardware. So, i hope this question makes sense and the answer is the one i want to hear! *hopes*

OK so, i have an old imac. Don't ask me the make or model... cos i just don't know. It's old, but its not stupidly old. It's the one with the silver swizzley neck that sprouts from a little white dome.

Anyway, i also have a new, white, macbook.

I don't care for the old imac at all anymore and it just sits there looking pretty. Although, today i had a thought. "maybe... just maybe... i could hook up this macbook to the old imac and use its monitor and run DUAL like all the cool people".

Anyway, the initial excitement was quickly overcome by my rubbish knowledge of hardware and what i'm doing.

So, my question.

Is this possible? If so, how? What would i need to make this work?

It's 12.19am right now. I'll be going to bed soon. It would be lovely to wake up tomorrow with some "yeah its easy!" replies so i can go to the shop tomorrow, buy whatever i need and make this crazy stuff happen by tomorrow evening. That would be so exciting.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
No, the iMac only supports video out.
It's a G4 iMac btw.
imacg4.jpg

OP
J

j0n

Reaction score
awwwww, that really sucks.

Thanks for the reply anyway. Could you recommend a really cheap monitor i could use instead?

Reaction score
hmm
it may be doable

im no imac expert but im sure if youre a little tech capable and you really dont think you want the imac anymore you could take it apart and find the wire that connects the cpu to the actual lcd and jimmy rig something that'll work
you probably wont find it worth it though
you could give it to me if youd like though :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.