External HD versus Memory Stick

Reaction score
I just don't seem to have good luck with external hard drives.

This is my 4th external for my Macbook Pro. I will admit that they external gets bumped more than it should although I try to be careful, but does this always make the external useless. I seem to be constantly getting corrupt external hard drives messages.

Is there an external hard drive that is a little more durable than others? Or, should I just use memory sticks? If so, can anyone recommend a brand?

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Do you bump them while they are running

If you use memory sticks bear in mind they have a limited number of read write cycled fefore they fail

OP
C
Reaction score
Do you bump them while they are running

If you use memory sticks bear in mind they have a limited number of read write cycled fefore they fail

Yes, unfortunately, I have bumped them while they are running.

Memory sticks fail? After how long?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Memory sticks fail depending on the user and how they use it. I have USB thumb drives 256MB (9 years old) to 64GB (4 years old) and they still work great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
most hard drives are very reliable, unless you shock them while running which causes the reading arm to damage the platter

Stick with regular hard drives but leave them alone while running and avoid dropping or sudden movement while running. It's not that you have had bad luck with external drives, its mistreatment and no brand of hard disk is going to tollerate physical abuse without the risk of failure

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.